[Testing] Decimal separator substitution

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mario52
Veteran

Re: [Testing] Decimal separator substitution

Post by mario52 »

Hi

pointVirgule00.gif
pointVirgule00.gif (158.98 KiB) Viewed 2092 times

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.26375 (Git)
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.8.12
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.3

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

mario52 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:47 am Hi
What would I see?
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

if i work with a point the value change

si je met un . (point) la valeur change et la grandeur aussi ,

10 mm deviennent 100 mètres

et 1 mm devient 10 mètres

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

mario52 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:36 pm Hi

if i work with a point the value change
I already explained this behavior in a previous post of this thread. I also told it has nothing to do with the PR (directly). Just if you enable the decimal point substitution (this PR) you'll be less prone to get this behavior if you used to enter numbers with numerical pad.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi
'General/SubstituteDecimalSeparator
Ok done

mario
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

openBrain wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:10 pm @uwestoehr, I'll soon document this in the wiki. In your opinion, is it worth some words in the release notes too ?
Sure, but I cannot test the new feature. I requested an UI option in the preferences but cannot find this. I insist on an UI option because this topic pops up frequently so apparently it is important for users so we should offer the option the normal way.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:03 am I insist on an UI option because this topic pops up frequently so apparently it is important for users so we should offer the option the normal way.
You may be right, but insisting seems a bit harsh for something that didn't exist at all before. There were not really many descussions about this topic in this forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:03 am Sure, but I cannot test the new feature. I requested an UI option in the preferences but cannot find this. I insist on an UI option because this topic pops up frequently so apparently it is important for users so we should offer the option the normal way.
Sorry, can't remember this request. Anyway my plan was and still is that the feature is a bit tested by super users before being official. Hence my previous post.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

openBrain wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:55 am Sorry, can't remember this request. Anyway my plan was and still is that the feature is a bit tested by super users before being official. Hence my previous post.
I proposed this first here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p544241 and then also later in Github or another forum post.

I wrote "insist" to push this ;) . As I wrote, this topic occurs in the forum frequently and since you already implemented it, there is no need to hide it. It is relevant for some users thus a UI entry for the setting is worth it. Since we are still in normal development mode for FC 0.20, we have enough time to be tested.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:40 pm I proposed this first here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p544241 and then also later in Github or another forum post.
OK. What you wrote there is a bit different as you want that thousand separator is interpreted as decimal separator when possible.
This isn't what is provided in this PR, and would require some other modifications especially in formula/expression parsers, which may not be a small effort. ;)
Anyway I can provide an UI option for this PR, just have to find the right spot. ;) I wonder if at a time it could be a good thing to create a "Advanced" preference page where we can push basically everything stored in Fine-tuning without caring much about user-friendliness. :)