Luthiers using FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mnesarco

Re: Luthiers using FreeCAD

Post by mnesarco »

Hi Chris,
Chris_G wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:59 pm - I am not very fond on the multi-face shape of the neck. Ending up with some fewer, larger surfaces would look better.
I have an internal parameter that defines the number of neck surfaces, I can promote it to a user defined parameter.
screenshotx.png
screenshotx.png (122.09 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
Different-Surface-Count.FCStd.zip
(448.55 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Chris_G wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:59 pm - the transition surfaces, under the nut, are not C1-continuous with the neck. Although I admit that's a purely theoretical need, and that we always end-up with a bit of hand sanding that fixes this.
Yes, it is very hard to achieve with OCCT, I have tried too many ways but this is the current achievement :(. Suggestions are always accepted :)

Chris_G wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:59 pm - maybe this is only a personal opinion, but I don't think the straight part of the neck should go up to the nut location. I usually stop it under the 1st fret, and start the transition surfaces from there. That's less true on Fender-like necks, like your examples, but on angled-headstock necks, like Gibson's, it would allow better neck-to-headstock transitions.
The neck-headstock transition start point is a user parameter and also the transition heel-neck start point.

Chris_G wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:59 pm That's already an impressive work!
Thank you.
Svet

Post by Svet »

I've been luthier for 13 years, but after moving to another country it's hard to start again. But its a good time to start learning new tools. :) Usually i made my designs in Corel but will definitely try your workbench! Thanks for your effort!
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Svet wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:55 pm I've been luthier for 13 years, but after moving to another country it's hard to start again. But its a good time to start learning new tools. :) Usually i made my designs in Corel but will definitely try your workbench! Thanks for your effort!
Thank you, the current published version is a bit outdated and basic, but I am working in a new version.
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Chris_G wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:59 pm
Hello Chris,
I have improved the transition continuity with some black magic :D, It would be great to know your opinion.

test2.gif
test2.gif (563.83 KiB) Viewed 3472 times

This is the FC File:

improved-continuity.FCStd.zip
(210.63 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Cheers
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

Hi,
The transition looks nice indeed.

Another thing is the neck profile near the headstock that looks rather unusual.
Is this intentional ?
neck-profile.png
neck-profile.png (46.43 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Chris_G wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:56 am Hi,
The transition looks nice indeed.

Another thing is the neck profile near the headstock that looks rather unusual.
Is this intentional ?

neck-profile.png
Yes, it is controlled by the user defined neck profile. I support custom profiles where the user can define very strange things :D incuding double asymetric shapes (different profle at fret 0 and fret 12, and each one can be asymmetric).

screenshot7.png
screenshot7.png (55.34 KiB) Viewed 3408 times

Example weird neck profile:
screenshot_6.png
screenshot_6.png (70.69 KiB) Viewed 3408 times

Model:
strange-profile.FCStd.zip
(214.3 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

mnesarco wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:52 pm Hi Friends,

I wonder if is there a Luthiers community using FreeCAD for their designs. Many Luthiers uses F360 and Rhino, it is not easy to model guitars in FreeCAD, it requires a lot of calculations and surface modeling. But the good news is that i am close to release a version 2.0 of the Marz Workbench for guitar design. It would be great to know how big is the potential community.

So if you are a Luthier and a FreeCAD user, and you want to be up to date with Marz Development and want to discuss anything related to Guitar design in FreeCAD, we can use this thread to talk and share files.

Cheers,

Frank.
Not a Luthier, (got thrown out of woodwork lessons at school ( and it was not for messing about ))
But have done some work on ImportNURBS workbench for importing Rhino 3dm files, would be interested in some Rhino guitar designs that
have been exported to 3dm as test cases :-)
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

keithsloan52 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:01 pm Not a Luthier, (got thrown out of woodwork lessons at school ( and it was not for messing about ))
But have done some work on ImportNURBS workbench for importing Rhino 3dm files, would be interested in some Rhino guitar designs that
have been exported to 3dm as test cases :-)
Cool, interoperability and test/comparisons are good to validate generated models.
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Some improvements in surface continuity, it is not perfect yet, but the best so far until now (100% parametric).
neck.gif
neck.gif (947.36 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
neck.FCStd.zip
(82.18 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
EDIT: A better version, (more mesh friendly)
neck2.FCStd.zip
(114.56 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

awesome!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs