Luthiers using FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mikele

Re: Luthiers using FreeCAD

Post by Mikele »

screenshot Inkscape xml editor:
https://imgur.com/a/9TWsOO6

mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Mikele wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:26 pm sorry for calling with your nick.
Not a problem.

Mikele wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:26 pm You write, FreeCad is outdated and limited?
I never said that. What I said is that Marz Workbench is outdated and limited.
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Mikele wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:08 pm Just tried your online version.
When importing a downloaded file I get the same error "The file does not contain any contour path. Make sure you have a path with id=contour."

FreeCad version 19.1 on Win7 may be the basic problem.
Please try this example file (Included in the Marz Workbench examples):
example_custom_headstock.svg
(22.36 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

ref: https://github.com/mnesarco/MarzWorkben ... s/examples
Mikele

Post by Mikele »

Hello Frank,

sorry for mixing up FreeCad and your Marz workbench generally. Was not intended, bad mistake.

Thanks for your attention and the resent file.
At first I did not fill in the correct IDs of my headstock.
And I probably had created an unfavorable position for the transition line and that's probably where the last error messages came from. Will find out.

But now I have my neck on the screen. Wow - that's awesome! :)
I'm curious how it goes on.

What can I do for you Frank? I am no progger or so. Do you want a guitar or bass? ;)
All the best -
Michael
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Hi Michael,
Mikele wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:30 pm Thanks for your attention and the resent file.
At first I did not fill in the correct IDs of my headstock.
And I probably had created an unfavorable position for the transition line and that's probably where the last error messages came from. Will find out.

But now I have my neck on the screen. Wow - that's awesome! :)
I'm curious how it goes on.
Thank you, it is good to know it worked for you. The transitions in the Workbench version are very ugly, but they are a lot better in the current development version. Unfortunately It is not public yet, but it will be.
Mikele wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:30 pm What can I do for you Frank? I am no progger or so. Do you want a guitar or bass? ;)
All the best -
Michael
Thanks for the offer, very generous. At the moment it is very satisfactory for me that you can use the workbench.

Cheers,
Frank.
Mikele

Post by Mikele »

mnesarco wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:54 am Thank you, it is good to know it worked for you. The transitions in the Workbench version are very ugly, but they are a lot better in the current development version. Unfortunately It is not public yet, but it will be.
Hi Frank,

thanks for the infos.

what are your goals for a release date?

How can users reward your work?
Would it be a good idea to release it as a software package at walmart? ;)

Your workbench allows setting the neck angle to zero degrees. This is the way the most bolt on necks are made.
But there is no heel at the back of the neck. You know that.
Fender want(-ed) it cheep. Only 19 mm (ok, 20 ;) ) thick maple blanks needed for a bass neck.
At the moment the volute radius does not fulfill that demand. One has to set it to ~ so to say.

A 3D print will be started soon.

I'm really curious how your optimized version will be.

Have a nice weekend.

Cheers -
Michael

@bavariaSHAPE
I am on Win 7 too.
Any doubts not to update to Win 10? Problems overall with win7?
My systems seems to run well and I do not want to change my working system.
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Mikele wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:59 pm
what are your goals for a release date?
This is a side project, I have no hard deadlines.

Mikele wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:59 pm How can users reward your work?
I still don't have commercial plans. I will maybe release it with a very cheap perpetual licensing, or just make it free with option for donations.

Mikele wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:59 pm Would it be a good idea to release it as a software package at walmart? ;)
hahaha very classic.

Mikele wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:59 pmYour workbench allows setting the neck angle to zero degrees. This is the way the most bolt on necks are made.
But there is no heel at the back of the neck. You know that.
Fender want(-ed) it cheep. Only 19 mm (ok, 20 ;) ) thick maple blanks needed for a bass neck.
At the moment the volute radius does not fulfill that demand. One has to set it to ~ so to say.
Yes, it is solved in the dev version (support for flat/no volute)

Mik wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:59 pmYour workbench allows setting the neck angle to zero degrees. This is the way the
I'm really curious how your optimized version will be.
You can see some progress here (a little outdated now):

phpBB [video]
Mikele

Post by Mikele »

Hi Frank,

I now have two test pieces in 3D printing and I'm really excited to see whether it will work.
One should not cause any problems, as there are no transitions.
The other is a neck, first try. That's going to be hard...
The volute is at max, which is pretty flat at the bottom.

The result in the universe does not have to be perfect, as a little manual work will not hurt. But if a monster comes out of it, that's different.

Of course you don't have a deadline. May I ask about your personal time goal or target? Or are you not going to reveal that? ;)

In fact, the question for me is just about coordinating my own plans.

Can you rethink the transition at the base of your neck? (I'm speaking here as a layperson, aren't I?) Simply round or oval does not quite correspond to the spiritual requirement. Do you know Fender neck feet or something licensed from them?

Wish you a nice weekend.
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Mikele wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 pm Hi Frank,

I now have two test pieces in 3D printing and I'm really excited to see whether it will work.
One should not cause any problems, as there are no transitions.
The other is a neck, first try. That's going to be hard...
The volute is at max, which is pretty flat at the bottom.

The result in the universe does not have to be perfect, as a little manual work will not hurt. But if a monster comes out of it, that's different.
It would be great to see the outcome.

Mikele wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 pm Of course you don't have a deadline. May I ask about your personal time goal or target? Or are you not going to reveal that? ;)
I think i can release an alpha or beta version this year.

Mikele wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 pm Can you rethink the transition at the base of your neck? (I'm speaking here as a layperson, aren't I?) Simply round or oval does not quite correspond to the spiritual requirement. Do you know Fender neck feet or something licensed from them?
I am not sure that I have understood what do you mean here, but the transition algorithms used in Marz Workbench (FreeCAD) and the current dev version are totally different, the new algos are Bezier based.
Mikele

Post by Mikele »

mnesarco wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:19 pm
Mikele wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 pm I now have two test pieces in 3D printing and I'm really excited to see whether it will work.
It would be great to see the outcome.

Mikele wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 pm May I ask about your personal time goal or target?
I think i can release an alpha or beta version this year.
Mikele wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 pm Can you rethink the transition at the base of your neck? ...
I am not sure that I have understood what do you mean here, but the transition algorithms used in Marz Workbench (FreeCAD) and the current dev version are totally different, the new algos are Bezier based.
- if my outcome arrives I will post it.
- a release this year would be great!
- transition ...: Bezier based algos make a difference. Got it.

I wish you much success.