[09/04/22][LinkStage3][UI] VertUI / Midnight UI

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Petrikas

Re: [17/10/21][LinkStage3][UI] Vertical UI

Post by Petrikas »

bambuko wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:35 pm
Petrikas wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:31 pm ...Not sure what the problem is...
I have used F4 and that is what is causing me problems - I will experiment more and share here later
So F4 just swaps back and forth between state 2 and 4, or 2 and 3.

Can you describe the problem in more detail? I've read the posts you linked, but I didn't understand what the issue was.
I sometimes make FreeCAD Tutorials | VertUI | MidnightUI
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Petrikas wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:40 pm ...So F4 just swaps back and forth between state 2 and 4, or 2 and 3...
that explanation helps, thank you.

When I use F4 in regular FreeCAD it toggles between 1 and 2 and then back to 1 (if you so desire)

When trying it on a version with Vertical UI, not only were there 4 states (which you just explained, thank you) each state leaving more and more "jumbled". but there was no way back to state 1, regardless of however many times I press F4.

I will come back with more illustrations and explanations.
I now have totally separate installation of FreeCAD to experiment with (leaving working version safe and conservative),
so even if I mess it up it's no big deal ;)
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

bambuko wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:47 pm
Petrikas wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:40 pm ...So F4 just swaps back and forth between state 2 and 4, or 2 and 3...
that explanation helps, thank you.

When I use F4 in regular FreeCAD it toggles between 1 and 2 and then back to 1 (if you so desire)

When trying it on a version with Vertical UI, not only were there 4 states (which you just explained, thank you) each state leaving more and more "jumbled". but there was no way back to state 1, regardless of however many times I press F4.

I will come back with more illustrations and explanations.
I now have totally separate installation of FreeCAD to experiment with (leaving working version safe and conservative),
so even if I mess it up it's no big deal ;)
I strongly suggest against using F4 / switching all panels at the same time. That shuffles around the interface a lot, enables some disabled panels as well. I would strongly recommend using the individual buttons on each of the docks
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Petrikas wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:58 pm....strongly suggest against using F4 / switching all panels at the same time. That shuffles around the interface a lot, enables some disabled panels as well. I would strongly recommend using the individual buttons on each of the docks
Yep :mrgreen:
that was my problem exactly - total mess
thank you for confirming

Now I need to learn what your Vertical UI method is doing - still have some problems with (could be me?)
Need some time to investigate - will be back
Thank you for your help
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

bambuko wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:14 pm
Petrikas wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:58 pm....strongly suggest against using F4 / switching all panels at the same time. That shuffles around the interface a lot, enables some disabled panels as well. I would strongly recommend using the individual buttons on each of the docks
Yep :mrgreen:
that was my problem exactly - total mess
thank you for confirming

Now I need to learn what your Vertical UI method is doing - still have some problems with (could be me?)
Need some time to investigate - will be back
Thank you for your help
I think you're attributing too much to VertUI. It's really not that smart.
All VertUI is doing is changing the colours of existing elements. It doesn't add any functionality, not does it disable any functionality. There's only so much I can reach from the stylesheet, and it's usually just some background and text colours.

The config file is basically ticking/unticking some boxes in your Preferences dialog and rearranges the toolbars.

VertUI is completely different to something like Hakan7's ModernUI. His UI is Python programming (creating new stuff), while mine is just changing colours and default (user-accessible) settings.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Petrikas wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:30 pm I think you're attributing too much to VertUI. It's really not that smart...
shame ;) because I like it
Might have to rethink my approach...
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Petrikas wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:30 pm I think you're attributing too much to VertUI. It's really not that smart...
Having spent a fair bit of time playing with it today I now understand it more and agree with you - I was confusing things (as usual ;) )
Most of what causes me difficulty is the behaviour of overlay mode - perhaps one experiment too far for me :mrgreen:
For now I will concentrate on Vertical UI as it works for me.
derbuechsenmacher

UI Preference Packages

Post by derbuechsenmacher »

I want to try the VertUI preference package. I'm on the latest dev build on OSX and I don't have any of the options in Edit Parameters to bring in a new set of preferences. I added a "Preference Packs" folder where my user.cfg is stored, and put the content of the VertUI zip file in there, but it does not show up. Am I missing some component.
Petrikas

Post by Petrikas »

A more 'refined' (yet less flexible) iteration of VertUI, called "Midnight", available here:

https://petrikas.gumroad.com/l/midnight

It's definitely not for everyone, but I prefer it to VertUI. It feels more inviting to me, and a lot less "serious". Not sure if I'm making sense here.

Edit: if anyone having trouble installing or have any feedback, don't hesitate to post questions here. VertUI and Midnight UI are both closely related, I don't see the need to make a new topic.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

You could update the title of the OP and append: Midnight UI ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs