[RFC] Rocketry Workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ssaner

Re: [RFC] Rocketry Workbench

Post by ssaner »

I realize that assembly isn't the main focus at the moment. However, I've noticed that if you adjust the placement of an object, and then edit the parameters of the object (nose cone length, for example), that then resets the placement back to the origin. Is that an easy fix?
Steve Saner, KD0IJP
Andover, KS USA
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

ssaner wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:25 pm I realize that assembly isn't the main focus at the moment. However, I've noticed that if you adjust the placement of an object, and then edit the parameters of the object (nose cone length, for example), that then resets the placement back to the origin. Is that an easy fix?
No idea. I imagine it would be... I'll check that out tonight.
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

Figured out the problem.

It should be an easy fix BUT it will require changes in a lot of places, so not a quick one. I may roll it out early, but it may have to wait for the next release.
ssaner

Post by ssaner »

No worries. Not a high priority.

I did use the nose cone tool to model one that I want to fabricate. I then went into the draft workbench and used the Shape2DView to create a 2D projection that I could export as a dxf and print to make a pattern for use at the lathe. Worked pretty well.
Steve Saner, KD0IJP
Andover, KS USA
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

ssaner wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:09 pm No worries. Not a high priority.

I did use the nose cone tool to model one that I want to fabricate. I then went into the draft workbench and used the Shape2DView to create a 2D projection that I could export as a dxf and print to make a pattern for use at the lathe. Worked pretty well.
Pics or it didn't happen! :D

Glad it's working out!
concretedog

Post by concretedog »

grandcross wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:59 am Well, I've followed the steps to submit the workbench for inclusion in the Addons. This will require some work by the official maintainers, so don't expect instantaneous availability. I am a little confused about how it gets added to the FreeCAD-addons repository though, whether that's done by the maintainers or if I need to generate a pull request. It's not mentioned in the steps to integration https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addons

Documentation is started, but is very much a work in progress. I hope to get it finished by the end of the weekend. https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Rocket_Workbench

At this point, the module will be treated as stable, with only bug fixes being made available except through manual install. New features will be merged when complete. I'm already working on new stuff :D

In the interim, show us what you're making!
Re show us what you are making! Been tinkering around with early stages of a 2.5 meter long 102 mm diameter airframe today!
2meter_102mm_airframe.png
2meter_102mm_airframe.png (61.67 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

ssaner wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:25 pm I realize that assembly isn't the main focus at the moment. However, I've noticed that if you adjust the placement of an object, and then edit the parameters of the object (nose cone length, for example), that then resets the placement back to the origin. Is that an easy fix?
Bugfix release now available. Just use the Addon manager to update.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Shoveling-coal.gif
Shoveling-coal.gif (923.18 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
@davesrocketshop/@grandcross working on Rocketry Workbench
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

I have a development branch available for testing by the brave. There are some NON-BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE changes so BACK UP YOUR WORK. You'll also have to do a manual install.

Changes:
- All Radii are changed to Diameters for nose cones and transitions. Radii made sense internally, but diameters are more consistent with part specifications such as for body tubes. They already use diameters. Existing models will be converted automatically, but once saved will not be compatible with previous versions of the workbench.
- Multi-unit support. All dialogs now allow you to specify non-metric units as per the rest of FreeCAD. Very useful for people living in technologically backwards countries with archaic unit measurement :D
- Parts lookup! A large selection of predefined parts courtesy of the Open Rocket database. There are still some minor import issues on a small number of parts, but it's very usable as is. I still want to add Rocksim part imports. No user defined parts at this time. Given that we use very different data, that's a larger project for another day.

This should keep you busy for a while :lol:

Branch link https://github.com/davesrocketshop/Rock ... s-database
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

Some developments:

I know I said I would have an importer for OR files soon, and that's definitely possible from a reading the file point of view, but the problem is then converting that into a complete rocket. For example, body tubes, centering rings, etc. often specify a diameter of "auto", something not currently supported in the components.

So I'm simultaneously building a "rocket builder" which is a pseudo assembly method using component placements. As you can imagine it's a little more involved. Since the two go hand in hand, I'm going to continue along this path. Realistically though that probably means a usable builder will be ready before a complete importer. Not that that's a bad thing :D

On the positive side, I'm getting quite good at figuring out the undocumented APIs, and before anyone asks I'm not ready to take that on too. For example, I'm able to create a model tree (from an imported file!):
model_tree.png
model_tree.png (10.37 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
But this is all the rocket I can currently show as I have to "automatically" figure out a lot of dimensions:
import.png
import.png (36.41 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
As you can see there's still a lot of work to do!

Another side effect of this development is that models will not be backwards compatible. Each release is adding more properties to the components and I'm not even going to guess what the final part features will be. Like the component database release though, I'll be able to convert the old models automatically.

Speaking of which, I'm ready to release the component database, but without the Rocksim part import. The current database contains many of these parts already, so I'll defer that development for now, probably until I start the Rocksim model importer. If I have no bugs identified by Friday I'll make it available to the Addon Manager then.

Happy hump day!