Request #4472: Place and orientate dimension constraints in one go

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Sandkuchen

Request #4472: Place and orientate dimension constraints in one go

Post by Sandkuchen »

First, I'm not sure, if what I'm going to ask for already is there. If it is, please tell me (where, how...).

When I place dimension constrains (distances and that kind of stuff), the input prompt for the number pops up right away. I can enter my number, press Return or click and move on to the next thing I want to dimensionally constrain and so on. There is one problem in that: Arrows/numbers are just dropped some way, often inconveniently close to some other element or on top of each other or or or. In order to orientate them (= drag the number to a more convenient place and/or move/rotate arrows in the process), I have to abort the command, do my dragging and then start the dimension command again. Which is inconvenient when I want to place a dozen dimensions or so.

I understand this process could be accelerated by using shortcuts, but that is besides the point.

Could it be changed in way that the orientation of the dimension can be changed when placing it, without the need to finish/abort the command? In Solid Edge, to give on example, it's done like this: Pick dimension tool of you choice, place dimensional constraint (click a circle or whatever). After that, the dimension number / place holder / blunt end of the arrow sticks to the cursor, you drag it wherever you want it to be and click again to "drop" it, and only THEN the input prompt pops up for you to put your number in. If you do not wish to drag it anywhere, you can just rush it with a double click. Neither requires real processing from the biological unit; it's rather intuitive and goes into muscle memory right away. Even, if I only have to drag a few dimensions (out of ... many) around, it's usually way faster overall this way.

EDIT: Added request on mantis tracker; request no. is 0004472.
Last edited by Sandkuchen on Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Feature Request or question): Place and orientate dimension constraints in one go

Post by chrisb »

Please search the forum. This has been discussed recently.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Feature Request or question): Place and orientate dimension constraints in one go

Post by jmaustpc »

some comnments, with varying degrees of relevance! :)
Sandkuchen wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:02 pm When I place dimension constrains (distances and that kind of stuff), the input prompt for the number pops up right away. I can enter my number, press Return or click and move on to the next thing I want to dimensionally constrain and so on.
The behaviours can be changed in some ways in the options Sketcher...Display tab. Not exactly what you asked about but ...
Sandkuchen wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:02 pm have to abort the command, do my dragging and then start the dimension command again. Which is inconvenient when I want to place a dozen dimensions or so.
In the majority of cases just add them all first and then drag them around later.

Generally its a good idea to try to keep sketches as simple as possible, sometimes it's better to use a second sketch rather than adding extra complication in one sketch. Obviously that is a generalisation so no always true.
Sandkuchen

Post by Sandkuchen »

I briefly looked at that thread before. Not sure how far it went off topic, but the starting point was the consolidation of different functions (as in having a single do-it-all dimension tool), no?
Sandkuchen

Post by Sandkuchen »

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:47 am
Sandkuchen wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:02 pm ... the input prompt for the number pops up right away ...
The behaviours can be changed in some ways in the options Sketcher...Display tab. Not exactly what you asked about but ...
As far as I could see, I can tell FreeCAD to either ask for a number right away or to not do that. But you are right, that is not what I asked about :)

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:47 am In the majority of cases just add them all first and then drag them around later.
... is what I try to do, but that's usually more clicks and sometimes it's just hard to grab the right dimension because stuff is placed on top of eachother.
Sandkuchen

Post by Sandkuchen »

chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:33 pm Please search the forum. This has been discussed recently.
Mind telling me where or what to look for? I'm asking that because i didn't find anything.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Sandkuchen wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:10 pm
chrisb wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:33 pm Please search the forum. This has been discussed recently.
Mind telling me where or what to look for? I'm asking that because i didn't find anything.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50521

The long and the short of it boils down to: which of the half dozen or so partime volunteer developers should stop what they are currently working on and implement requests like this?

;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Sandkuchen

Post by Sandkuchen »

I am not sure why you keep referring to a thread about that one-does-all dimension constraint tool. It really has nothing to do with what I tried to describe here. And if what I described is mentioned somewhere in that thread, I didn't find it.
Off topic: I know the smart dimension tool from Solid Edge. It's a nice idea in some scenarios, but more often than not, you do not really save all that many clicks with it; only the order of doing things is a bit different. Kind of a click-first/think-later approach.

However, seems I was under the false impression that this forum is actually meant to post stuff like feature requests (which is an easy mistake to make as the subforum Open discussion explicitly says it was the place to post feature requests). I should have looked into that more before posting a bunch and find the right place to post request.

What I tried to talk about (and request) is the orientating of dimension constraint labels/arrows in the sketcher view.