Step exporter of FreeCAD 0.19 merging objects into single object

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
amrit3701

Step exporter of FreeCAD 0.19 merging objects into single object

Post by amrit3701 »

Hello everyone,

In step exporter of FreeCAD 0.18, if we are exporting two objects into a step file and on opening this generated step file, FreeCAD shows two objects having the same label name which is before exporting. But step exporter of FreeCAD 0.19 behaves differently. For eg, if we exporting two objects into a step file and on opening generated step file, FreeCAD shows only single object which is the compound of two objects and all information of label name of objects is lost.

Can anybody help me how to export multiple objects to a step file so that objects cannot merge and name of objects in step file should be exactly same as a label as in the FreeCAD document?

Thanks in advance!
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Step exporter of FreeCAD 0.19 merging objects into single object

Post by chrisb »

Please retry with 0.19, there were some changes made.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:42 am Please retry with 0.19, there were some changes made.
I already using the latest available build of FreeCAD 0.19.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19274 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 1da11e4e5c760e0db7b8e0d9a80ca5a8c172b326
Python version: 3.8.1
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/India (en_IN)
Amritpal Singh
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

amrit3701 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am Can anybody help me how to export multiple objects to a step file so that objects cannot merge and name of objects in step file should be exactly same as a label as in the FreeCAD document?
Found solution. :)

Using GUI: Untick the "Enable STEP compound merge" button in STEP exporter preferences (Open FreeCAD preferences -> Import-Export tab -> STEP tab -> See options under Import section)

Using Python console:
FreeCAD.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Import/hSTEP").SetBool("ReadShapeCompoundMode", False)

Thanks,
Amritpal Singh
0xCoto

Post by 0xCoto »

amrit3701 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:49 pm
amrit3701 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am Can anybody help me how to export multiple objects to a step file so that objects cannot merge and name of objects in step file should be exactly same as a label as in the FreeCAD document?
Found solution. :)

Using GUI: Untick the "Enable STEP compound merge" button in STEP exporter preferences (Open FreeCAD preferences -> Import-Export tab -> STEP tab -> See options under Import section)

Using Python console:
FreeCAD.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Import/hSTEP").SetBool("ReadShapeCompoundMode", False)

Thanks,
@amrit3701 I'm trying to do this with Python so I don't have to edit my preferences, because I'm working on server code that doesn't use a GUI. Is there a typo on the Python command (e.g. "hSTEP" instead of "STEP")? It doesn't seem to make a difference either way.

I'm running this in "normal system Python" rather than FreeCAD's console, but I don't think that's the problem, because every other FreeCAD instruction works fine.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

0xCoto wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:42 am
Are you aware that this topic is rather old and that it's based on 0.19?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.