Freecad installation Ransomware ? [Mod Edit: False Positive]

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Freecad installation Ransomware ? [Mod Edit: False Positive]

Post by PrzemoF »

@Doe_John: I read both threads (English and French) and I don't see what antivirus (name + version) do you use. Please provide the details, so someone with windows can test it. Alternatively please help me and point to your post with the details.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

PrzemoF wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:54 pm @Doe_John: I read both threads (English and French) and I don't see what antivirus (name + version) do you use. Please provide the details, so someone with windows can test it. Alternatively please help me and point to your post with the details.
hi posted the antivirus name here:
Doe_John wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:55 am Bonjour monsieur, merci pour votre réponse.
Alors j'ai un Windows 10 64 bits, et 360 total security.
Cordialement.
https://www.360totalsecurity.com
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Thanks! I missed it. Can someone with windows try if it really produces the warning? I asked the 360 total security to test it as well.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

PrzemoF wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:39 pm Can someone with windows try if it really produces the warning?
I downloaded and installed 360 Total Security Essential (Free)
Ran the Quick Scan my system came up clean.
Ran the 0.18.1 installer installing as admin in a 360 Total Security Sandbox, came up clean. Cleaned up the Sandbox.
Ran the 0.18.1 installer installing as single user in a 360 Total Security Sandbox, came up clean. Cleaned up the Sandbox.
Ran the 0.18.1 installer installing as admin came up clean. Ran the FreeCAD 0.18.1 uninstaller.
Ran the 0.18.1 installer installing as single user came up clean. Ran the FreeCAD 0.18.1 uninstaller.
Ran the 0.18.2 installer installing as admin came up clean.

Note: I downloaded and ran both installers from my Downloads directory. I didn't install the 360 Total Security add-on for Firefox. I did manually verify the SHA256's of the installers.
"fight the good fight"
Doe_John

Re: Freecad installation Ransomware ?

Post by Doe_John »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:37 pm
Doe_John wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:21 pm Here is the only more information that I could have:
Version: FreeCAD-018.16110.f7dccfa-WINx64-i ...
Website: github-production-release-and-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com
Huh? What is up with the website URL? are you pointing to a CDN of github ?
Also why are you not posting other details we asked?
This is what I had in the download history of my browser.
Which details ?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Doe_John wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:07 pm Which details ?
Which virus software, but easyw-fc found it in the French forum so we are good now.
I couldn't reproduce, so you can trust my testing or wait for 360 total security to respond to PrzemoF.
"fight the good fight"
Klaus63

Post by Klaus63 »

I have the same problem. Bitdefender detects:

"Die Datei C:\Users\...\FreeCAD 0.21\FreeCAD_weekly-builds-29277-2022-06-23-conda-Windows-x86_64-py38\bin\freecad.exe ist mit Gen:Suspicious.Cloud.2.iy0@a0tL6Odi infiziert und wurde in die Quarantäne verschoben. Wir empfehlen die Durchführung eines System-Scans, um weitere Infektionen auszuschließen"