Freecad installation Ransomware ? [Mod Edit: False Positive]

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Doe_John

Freecad installation Ransomware ? [Mod Edit: False Positive]

Post by Doe_John »

Hello everyone,

I tried to download and use FreeCad today, however after I downloaded the app, and started to install it, one of my antivirus warned me that I was about to get virus (Ransomware) if I kept going.
I went full panic mode, and I blocked the program and deleted the app program. I also ran two scans and nothing came up.

So, I have two questions, was it a false positive, and why ?
And I my computer totally safe ?

Thanks for your answers,

Regards
Last edited by Kunda1 on Thu May 30, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [False Positive] to thread post to curb any misinformation
vocx
Veteran

Re: Freecad installation Ransomware ?

Post by vocx »

Doe_John wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:26 am I tried to download and use FreeCad today, ...
It's impossible to answer any of your questions if you don't even mention from where you downloaded the package; which package, for which operating system, which version?

No. FreeCAD does not contain any ransomware. It is free software. You can see the entire code. You can get the code and compile it yourself if you have any doubts. Don't use Windows.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

@Doe_John : did you get FreeCAD from the official sources? You can always compile it locally with help from the forum if you're afraid that there is something wrong with the binary version. I don't know how hard is is under windows, but on linux it's just a matter of starting a script to download & build FreeCAD locally.
Doe_John

Post by Doe_John »

vocx wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:50 am
Doe_John wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:26 am I tried to download and use FreeCad today, ...
It's impossible to answer any of your questions if you don't even mention from where you downloaded the package; which package, for which operating system, which version?

No. FreeCAD does not contain any ransomware. It is free software. You can see the entire code. You can get the code and compile it yourself if you have any doubts. Don't use Windows.
Okay, thanks for your answer, so:
I downloaded it from here: https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php
I downloaded the lastest version, for Windows, 64 bits.

Windows is the OS that I have on my computer, so, I won't use something else, as I am familiar with it.

Regards.
Doe_John

Post by Doe_John »

PrzemoF wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:28 am @Doe_John : did you get FreeCAD from the official sources? You can always compile it locally with help from the forum if you're afraid that there is something wrong with the binary version. I don't know how hard is is under windows, but on linux it's just a matter of starting a script to download & build FreeCAD locally.
Hello,

I ran scans and nothing occured, but I am still a bit afraid.

It is sad as it seems to be an interesting software.

Regards.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Doe_John wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:25 pm Okay, thanks for your answer, so:
I downloaded the lastest version, for Windows, 64 bits.
"The latest version" is not a good answer. A good answer would be,
I tried installing "FreeCAD-0.18.16110.f7dccfa-WIN-x64-installer.exe" in Windows 10 Pro, the antivirus __________, one of several antivirus programs that I run, indicated that it found ransomware in this program. The exact message is as follows

See the screenshot.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Doe_John wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:26 pm I downloaded it from here: https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php

I ran scans and nothing occured, but I am still a bit afraid.

It is sad as it seems to be an interesting software.
@Doe_John
You downloaded your copy of FreeCAD from a reputable source, so you are fine meaning if you are compromised it didn't happen because of anything to do with running FreeCAD. This is called a 'False Positive' and it's happens sometimes to Anti-Virus sofwares and Free and Open Source Software (it also happens with software in general). You need to make a report and send that feedback back to your anti-virus software company letting them know you detected a 'false positive'.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Doe_John wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:26 am Hello everyone,
Hello Doe_John! Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum :)
I'm sorry you came here under such a stressful situation.
I am the Windows packager for FreeCAD, for this Win package. I'm quite sure there is no Ransomware in this installer, but I understand your concern.
First thing you can do is check the SHA256 of the installer. You can get the SHA256 here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.18.1 This link is actually the "home" of the link you posted.

As Kunda1 has indicated this is most likely a false positive (I run several virus checkers before posting on Github). It would be a great help if you could report to your virus software. If that's too much of a burden it would be helpful if you could tell us which virus checker failed we can try to notify them. Either way knowing which virus checker raised a flag would help.

I haven't seen a Ransomware warning before, but some of the previous flags were because; FreeCAD has a build in webbrowser and/or we don't have a Microsoft purchased certificate to sign the package with (We would need to buy it and renew every year).
"fight the good fight"
Doe_John

Post by Doe_John »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the answers.
Here is the only more information that I could have:
Version: FreeCAD-018.16110.f7dccfa-WINx64-i ...
Website: github-production-release-and-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com

Regards.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Doe_John wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:21 pm Here is the only more information that I could have:
Version: FreeCAD-018.16110.f7dccfa-WINx64-i ...
Website: github-production-release-and-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com
Huh? What is up with the website URL? are you pointing to a CDN of github ?
Also why are you not posting other details we asked?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs