Community Extras PPA Announcement & Support Thread: IfcOpenShell, Gmsh 4, freecad-doc translations & more!

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Gmsh 4 package available on Community Extras PPA (Bionic Only)

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:23 am Finally finished my Gmsh 4 package. The builds just failed for Xenial and it looks like it an issue in libcgns-dev which may not be straightforward to fix. So, maybe 18.04 only.
Nice! I'm sure the rest of the scientific Linux ecosystem folk are grateful for all these contributions. Much appreciated!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Calculix 2.14 package available on Community Extras PPA

Post by kkremitzki »

Calculix 2.14 uploaded for Bionic, Xenial, and Trusty! This is an upgrade from version 2.11. I couldn't find a complete changelog but here's the update notes from 2.13->2.14: http://www.dhondt.de/new_calc.htm
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Calculix 2.14 package available on Community Extras PPA

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:38 pm I updated the package to build Python 2 only instead, and as a result it now builds on Ubuntu 14.04 as well.
Have you told ifcOpenShell about this? It would probably be a boost to them.
Is this package statically linked?

EDIT: Can a mod pin this topic? These extra packages are going to be a big deal for the average scientific user that doesn't want to compile this stuff themselves.
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

New 0.17 freecad-doc package with French & Italian translations available on Community Extras PPA

Post by kkremitzki »

I've uploaded the new freecad-doc package which supports French & Italian translations to the Community Extras PPA. The multiplicative nature of the translations means each release of this package weighs in at 1.2 GB, so uploading it for Ubuntu 18.04 only has blown the PPA's size limit. I've requested an increase here.

For now, if you're using Bionic, please give it a test! It's designed to be used with the freecad package from the freecad-stable PPA. You can install the translated packages via sudo apt install freecad-doc-fr or freecad-doc-it. You can switch between the English, French, and Italian versions of the built-in help by running the command

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config freecad-doc
PDF versions of the help are available in, e.g. /usr/share/doc/freecad-doc-fr/freecad-fr.pdf.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: New 0.17 freecad-doc package with French & Italian translations available on Community Extras PPA

Post by chrisb »

Where do you want to have it pinned, in Open discussions?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: New 0.17 freecad-doc package with French & Italian translations available on Community Extras PPA

Post by kkremitzki »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:57 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:38 pm I updated the package to build Python 2 only instead, and as a result it now builds on Ubuntu 14.04 as well.
Have you told ifcOpenShell about this? It would probably be a boost to them.
Is this package statically linked?

EDIT: Can a mod pin this topic? These extra packages are going to be a big deal for the average scientific user that doesn't want to compile this stuff themselves.
No, it's dynamically linked as is proper for its eventual submission to Debian (I think I've overwhelmed the package sponsors in the Debian Science Team). I haven't told them, either, do you have a suggestion on the best way?

Also I just stickied the topic.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:17 pm do you have a suggestion on the best way?
Maybe just on their forum: https://sourceforge.net/p/ifcopenshell/ ... n/1782716/
They know FreeCAD through @bernd and @yorik, they are a small team, it would probably be a big deal for them. The ifc format seems to be crucial for the Arch/BIM guys, like step is for us MCAD guys.

I'll try to build ifcOpenShell on 14.04 w/PY3 locally. The Py3 paths on 14.04 are different which I think is what is causing you the headaches.
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:17 pm do you have a suggestion on the best way?
Maybe just on their forum: https://sourceforge.net/p/ifcopenshell/ ... n/1782716/
They know FreeCAD through @bernd and @yorik, they are a small team, it would probably be a big deal for them. The ifc format seems to be crucial for the Arch/BIM guys, like step is for us MCAD guys.

I'll try to build ifcOpenShell on 14.04 w/PY3 locally. The Py3 paths on 14.04 are different which I think is what is causing you the headaches.
Great, I signed up for SourceForge (annoying BTW that they force you to put in "company info", too) and sent an email to make a forum topic announcing the package availability on the PPA.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:09 pm PDF versions of the help are available in, e.g. /usr/share/doc/freecad-doc-fr/freecad-fr.pdf.
The PDF says v0.16?

These QT files should be OS agnostic, I tried to use them on Win (the french version) and I get an error. I'll start a new thread for this.

Do you know why the package is so big, 300+MB vs 140 MB for the en version for example?
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:10 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:09 pm PDF versions of the help are available in, e.g. /usr/share/doc/freecad-doc-fr/freecad-fr.pdf.
The PDF says v0.16?

These QT files should be OS agnostic, I tried to use them on Win (the french version) and I get an error. I'll start a new thread for this.

Do you know why the package is so big, 300+MB vs 140 MB for the en version for example?
This file needs updated for the cover to be fixed: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/images/7 ... -cover.svg

I'm not really sure on the size unfortunately, but it'd be nice to get to the bottom of since the extra size multiplies so badly.