surface flattening

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: surface flattening

Post by wmayer »

I have tested right now to build the flatmesh module on Ubuntu 18.04 which offers a pybind++ package but compilation fails with an error. The problem is that the pybind version 2.0 of the two days ago released Ubuntu version is already out-dated. One needs the latest version 2.2.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wmayer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:49 pm I have tested right now to build the flatmesh module on Ubuntu 18.04 which offers a pybind++ package but compilation fails with an error. The problem is that the pybind version 2.0 of the two days ago released Ubuntu version is already out-dated. One needs the latest version 2.2.
Well, this does complicate things. On Windows I have used https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/pybind11 i.e. 2.2.2
This is used to create the latest QT5-PY3 update on the releases page.

@wmayer, @NormandC, @ looo, what are your thoughts?
It seems there is a hurdle now at the beginning, but going forward it will be easier?
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wmayer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:49 pm The problem is that the pybind version 2.0 of the two days ago released Ubuntu version is already out-dated. One needs the latest version 2.2.
Aw come on. :evil:

sgrogan wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:22 pm what are your thoughts?
I will refrain from expressing them as it would be most impolite. :roll:

According to the pybind11's changelog, v2.2.1 was released back in September so there is hardly any good reason for 18.04 not to include it (even 2.2.2 was released in February), except of course that there was nobody available to package it.

pybind11-2.2.2 is packaged in Debian Sid (unstable) but not yet in testing, I guess it explains why it didn't make it in bionic.
https://packages.debian.org/sid/pybind11-dev

In the past I packaged OCE for our PPA based on the package found in Debian. It's basically the same process as backporting from one Ubuntu version to another older.

The problem is that packaging a newer version of pybind11 already in a just released Ubuntu version may cause trouble with software depending on the Ubuntu repos version... Can't check ATM as I have yet to install 18.04.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Aw come on.
I am working on a solution to alternatively use boost.python and got it almost running.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Werner, I want to point out I was not criticizing you!!! :?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:22 pm
wmayer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:49 pm I have tested right now to build the flatmesh module on Ubuntu 18.04 which offers a pybind++ package but compilation fails with an error. The problem is that the pybind version 2.0 of the two days ago released Ubuntu version is already out-dated. One needs the latest version 2.2.
Well, this does complicate things. On Windows I have used https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/pybind11 i.e. 2.2.2
This is used to create the latest QT5-PY3 update on the releases page.

@wmayer, @NormandC, @ looo, what are your thoughts?
It seems there is a hurdle now at the beginning, but going forward it will be easier?
For the area module we have the options to either use pybind++ or boost.python and hopefully soon for the flatmesh module. So, the packager can choose the option that works best for him on his platform.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

NormandC wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:38 pm Werner, I want to point out I was not criticizing you!!! :?
Don't worry, I didn't have the impression.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

@looo does the flattening of meshes already work using the pybind++ library? From the source code I nowhere can see a special handling of meshes using the Python binding of FaceUnwrapper.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

The newest Netgen 6.2.18xx also is gonna require pybind11 2.2, by the way.

Edit: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pybind11 shows it was in experimental and only got moved to unstable yesterday.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

In other words, we'll eventually need to package it on 16.04 anyway.