[ Feature Request ] : Sketcher adding Midpoint constraint/snap

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

Re: [ Feature Request ] : Sketcher adding Midpoint constraint/snap

Post by Piero69 »

paddle wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:21 am My opinion here is that what we need is 'snapping' in general for sketcher geometry tools.
Currently we have 'auto-constraint' which creates the constraint. Snapping override the cursor position to precisely the position we want.
Anyway I had develop 'snapping' in my branch on tool settings but this is pending as the rest of tool settings branch.

I havn't done mid point snapping yet though. But yes the idea is to snap to the middle of the line + create a symmetric autoconstraint.
great
we wait for the implementation
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

As far as I can say, this is very rarely if never useful in a pure standalone sketch.
But this comes to be very handy when using onto external geometries.
So probably as soon as there is a robust TNP immunity implemented, that will give more sense.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

openBrain wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:55 pm this comes to be very handy when using onto external geometries.
Indeed, or when using construction lines.

Anyway, currently, the fastest approach is to enable symmetric constraint, select a line and then an endpoint of another line that needs to be placed in the middle of the first line.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

NewJoker wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:35 pm
openBrain wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:55 pm this comes to be very handy when using onto external geometries.
Indeed, or when using construction lines.

Anyway, currently, the fastest approach is to enable symmetric constraint, select a line and then an endpoint of another line that needs to be placed in the middle of the first line.
A line between the symmetric points isn't required.
Attachments
Peek 2022-11-30 08-46.gif
Peek 2022-11-30 08-46.gif (352.62 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

drmacro wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:47 pm A line between the symmetric points isn't required.
Yeah, but I was thinking about likely the most common use case for midpoint constraint:

mid.png
mid.png (5.7 KiB) Viewed 396 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:47 pm A line between the symmetric points isn't required.
That's right, but I would expect midpoint (auto) constraint to work only on lines, and not if a point happens to lie near the middle of some arbitrary points.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:16 pm
That's right, but I would expect midpoint (auto) constraint to work only on lines, and not if a point happens to lie near the middle of some arbitrary points.
Yes.

I felt it was implied that a line was requirement to use symmetry constraint. Just clarifying that that is not the case.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:49 pm I felt it was implied that a line was requirement to use symmetry constraint. Just clarifying that that is not the case.
Of course. Symmetry is very powerful. It is indeed so powerful, that gets sometimes complicated, e.g. with being partially redundant under certain circumstances.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.