[Ongoing] Testing Toponaming in upstream FreeCAD

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: [Ongoing] Testing Toponaming in upstream FreeCAD

Post by drmacro »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:55 pm please use webp or some other video format, gif is very hard to follow because there's no start/end reference.
That would be good, but, most often, then the files are too big to post here... :(
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

drmacro wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:06 pm .the sketch for the olive block is attached to the top surface of the green block. Change the sketch of the green block and the olive block is now attached to the bottom surface of the green block.
With this comment I think it is clear what is your point.

I would say the following:

The RT TPN algo is not able to fix any broken link/attachment. But it never claimed it can.

The real question is: "does it anyway bring a real improvement in solving TPN problem ?" And how ?

Looking at https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... -Algorithm it seems to me that the mapped name of faces are composed of two part: a first part which identify the fature (in example a PAD) to which the face belongs and a last part (faceN) in which the index N is generated in a randomic way.

This reduces the ambiguity with respect to OCC indexes because the mapped name is stricly related with the PAD. When you change the pad sketch the indeces of the pad faces are regenerated. Therefore the attachment of a second sketch may switch to a different face. But, at least, it is granted that the new attachment face must belongs to the same PAD.

This is just my thought and I am not very sure of what I am saying. I would like to have a confirmation from RT.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

wsteffe wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:22 am ...
This is just my thought and I am not very sure of what I am saying. I would like to have a confirmation from RT.
Maybe I'm not being clear.

RT wrote previously in this thread:
The team agree to make formal release for the toponaming branch in its current state first (very soon). And if no major problems reported by other developers, then I'll add the PartDesign patch.
That, to me implies the TNP mitigation code has been merged for Part module (so for Part workbench as well???).

My example shows TNP happening in a Part workbench model.There are no Part Design workbench anything in the video (check the treeview).

The video was done with topo branch git source code from that day. (I just tested with git 0.20.29382 with the same results.)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

drmacro wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:47 pm Maybe I'm not being clear.
No. You were clear. You have shown a TPN issue affecting the Part WB that it is not fixed by RT TPN Algo (even if Part WB code of TPN has already been merged).

My considerations were on what can realistically be (automatically) fixed and what can not. And I think that the problem you are showing can not.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

wsteffe wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:21 pm
drmacro wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:47 pm Maybe I'm not being clear.
No. You were clear. You have shown a TPN issue affecting the Part WB that it is not fixed by RT TPN Algo (even if Part WB code of TPN has already been merged).

My considerations were on what can realistically be (automatically) fixed and what can not. And I think that the problem you are showing can not.
The steps I demonstrate seem to work fine in the RT branch.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

drmacro wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:44 pm The steps I demonstrate seem to work fine in the RT branch.
May be a case. Perhaps master+TPN patch generates a different face index (after the sketch is changed) while LinkDaily regenerates again the same index.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

it's worth reporting and asking for realthunder's opinion on the matter but it might be better to report here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72886
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:55 pm please use webp or some other video format, gif is very hard to follow because there's no start/end reference.
Is the forum set up for webp? I just tried to attach one to a post and its selection was greyed out. How about the wiki?

Ed
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I meant webm, you can attach it but unfortunately it isn't show with an embedded player, one has to download to see it. If you uploaded it somewhere else the

Code: Select all

[video][/video]
tag should work to show an embedded player.
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

phpBB [video]

I can open this link in my browser, but it doesn't seem to work embedded. @adrianinsaval Do I need to do something else?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylfaxeo9hw1kb ... .webm?dl=0

EDIT:

Answered here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 05#p637305