Lots of brokenness on linuxcnc Debian 10 (buster) image

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
lunkwill

Lots of brokenness on linuxcnc Debian 10 (buster) image

Post by lunkwill »

I'm using the LinuxCNC Debian 10 image: http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-s ... uxcnc.html which I think is mostly just stock Debian 10 plus some linuxcnc repos. (Trying to get a freecad -> sheetcam -> linuxcnc workflow going.)

Mostly I think these are confusing documentation issues, although the nightly snap and flatpak do appear broken.

apt install freecad works great, but I'm having trouble with DXF/SVG exporting my sketch. So I'm trying to upgrade to daily builds. First I went here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Installing_on_Linux

The table of contents mentions a PPA, but that links to a section that's been removed from the page.

Next I tried the AppImage, which got me to 0.20, but I still had issues exporting so I tried the "Development versions" section on the home page.

The conda link takes me to github, which says "looooo released this Mar 03, 2021" and then refers to the PPA, which made me think that page was obsolete.

Next I tried snap, but got errors when trying to install the snap with --edge. (Drat, I rebooted to appease flatpak later and lost the exact error). The first error said "cannot validate license "LGPL-2.0-or-later"", and the second said ""cups" assumes unsupported features".

Onward and upward! Flatpak:
$ flatpak remote-add --user --if-not-exists flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo
$ flatpak install --user flathub-beta org.freecadweb.FreeCAD
Looking for matches…
error: The application org.freecadweb.FreeCAD/x86_64/beta requires the runtime org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.15-21.08 which was not found
spanner888

Re: Lots of brokenness on linuxcnc Debian 10 (buster) image

Post by spanner888 »

lunkwill wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:14 am Trying to get a freecad -> sheetcam -> linuxcnc workflow going.
So for anyone here to help you, we need some details on what "freecad -> sheetcam" means. Is it related to the dxf export you talk about? If so how are you trying to export? What is your model etc.

Also in my absolute ignorance of sheetcam, but with moderate linuxcnc background, I wonder why you are not using the FreeCAD Path workbench and linuxcnc postprocessor directly. Again without any solid information on the detail, it is pretty hard for anyone to offer help.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

lunkwill wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:14 am I'm using the LinuxCNC Debian 10 image:

mixing stock debian 10 with PPA for Ubuntu is not even easy as Ubuntu and derivative usually base their distribution on "Debian testing" when they "freeze" Debian to make their own "distribution".

So it is not easy to mix things as you have seen.

Other consideration is about the fact that LinuxCNC is a specialized distribution that has different target as it is created mainly to control a CNC, so it is taylored more to Real Time work, to have correct timing and such genre of things than to be a "drawing platform".

Plus Snap packages from what i know are taylored to Ubuntu Platforms, so probably the fact some packages are not found could depend on the different name assigned to the package by Debian and Ubuntu, that are usual when dealing Debian and Ubuntu related things.

The fact that "Ubuntu is based on Debian" is not a guarantee that something that will work on Ubuntu is working on Debian, and even the other way is not even true, so a package made for Debian is not guaranteed to work unmodified on a Ubuntu distribution, if some care are not taken when building the package, or to adapt sources to make them work on "different distributions".

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

lunkwill wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:14 am I'm using the LinuxCNC Debian 10 image: http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-s ... uxcnc.html which I think is mostly just stock Debian 10 plus some linuxcnc repos.
Any distribution used for LinuxCNC machine control, not just for simulation, will have a replacement kernel to support realtime operation. Either RTAI or Preempt-RT kernel will be used.

I do not know if this has any impact on FreeCAD, because I use the Debian-based LinuxCNC installation only for machine control.

In any case, the Debian 10 installation for LinuxCNC is not "stock".

Gene
lunkwill

Post by lunkwill »

Spanner, my export woes turned out to be due to weird rendering when a sketch isn't on the XY plane: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 39#p621239

Looks like this image is pretty much just stock debian plus some Mesa CNC drivers and linuxcnc itself, at least as far as apt is concerned, so I wouldn't expect it to impact freecad compatibility much. Kernel is linux-image-4.19.0-21-rt-amd64 straight from debian.

$ aptitude search "?installed" -F '%p %O' |grep LinuxCNC
hostmot2-firmware-3x20-1 LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
hostmot2-firmware-4i65 LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
hostmot2-firmware-4i68 LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
hostmot2-firmware-5i20 LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
hostmot2-firmware-5i22-1 LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
hostmot2-firmware-5i22-1.5 LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
hostmot2-firmware-5i23 LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
hostmot2-firmware-7i43-2 LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
hostmot2-firmware-7i43-4 LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
hostmot2-firmware-all LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
linuxcnc-doc-en LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
linuxcnc-doc-es LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
linuxcnc-doc-fr LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [all]
linuxcnc-uspace LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [amd64]
linuxcnc-uspace-dev LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [amd64]
mesaflash LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [amd64]
python-gtksourceview2 LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [amd64]
python-rsvg LinuxCNC and supporting files for Debian:linuxcnc [amd64]

Seems like the phantom references to the PPA should get removed from the wiki page, and then maybe a note about snap packages and flatpak mainly being targeted at Ubuntu?