[PPA] support for VTK 9.1

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
Kunda1
Veteran

[PPA] support for VTK 9.1

Post by Kunda1 »

A request to update the PPA was made in issue #6644.
This thread is the dedicated discussion for it.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: [PPA] support for VTK 9.1

Post by kkremitzki »

The dependency specified for the package is libvtk9-dev, which pulls in libvtk9.1. The reason this is failing is because the PPA for 22.04 has not been rebuilt since the vtk9 transition from libvtk9 -> libvtk9.1. The reason it hasn't been rebuilt is because the PySide 2 binary packages have to be rebuilt after a Python 3 version change. Right now, 22.04 is no longer automatically importing packages from Debian, where I can upload, so the solution is to contact someone w/ Ubuntu who can push the "rebuild" button, or for me to do a PySide 2 upload in Debian and ask someone w/ Ubuntu to push the "import while we're in an early freeze stage" button.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Just a sidenote: FEM (gmsh) does not work with VTK >= 9.x .

issue #6553
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=66948

Greetings
user1234
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:46 pm so the solution is to contact someone w/ Ubuntu who can push the "rebuild" button, or for me to do a PySide 2 upload in Debian and ask someone w/ Ubuntu to push the "import while we're in an early freeze stage" button.
Thanks for the explanation!
Who is this someone that we can ask help from?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs