FreeCAD Versioning

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
redbaron2

FreeCAD Versioning

Post by redbaron2 »

@Kunda1 @looo
I'm wondering if any of you could clue me in on what is happening with the versioning of FreeCAD?
The latest builds have been having very funny names for the installers (ex: FreeCAD-0.19.3-WIN-x64-installer-2.exe, FreeCAD-0.19.3-WIN-x64-installer-3.exe, and now FreeCAD-0.19.3-WIN-x64-installer-4.exe).
The file version being listed as (ex: 0.19.3.2, 0.19.3.3, and 0.19.3.4).
I would like to suggest that these digits be added to the correct area of the installer File Name like (ex: FreeCAD-0.19.3.3-WIN-x64-installer.exe).
Thanks for any heads up in this matter.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Versioning

Post by adrianinsaval »

No, they're all 0.19.3, there is no following version number, the number at the end of the installer is because they're different builds of the installer, from the same FreeCAD source. For example IIRC the only difference between installer -3 and installer -4 is that one has a flag to skip the integrity check in order to make the install entirely silent if desired by packagers, the FreeCAD binaries it installs are the same. Previous installer versions might have used different versions of the dependencies, I don't recall exactly.
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:49 pm No, they're all 0.19.3, there is no following version number, the number at the end of the installer is because they're different builds of the installer, from the same FreeCAD source. For example IIRC the only difference between installer -3 and installer -4 is that one has a flag to skip the integrity check in order to make the install entirely silent if desired by packagers, the FreeCAD binaries it installs are the same. Previous installer versions might have used different versions of the dependencies, I don't recall exactly.
This is all fine and dandy for keeping track of the updates for those users in the know or that download the installer from the website. This does not help for package managers like Chocolatey whose packages are immutable. I can not just update package version 0.19.3 this week because some developer decided; oh this installer needs a flag for skipping integrity. Then another installer is done due to a bad dependency, and another for a save bug, but all the versions are 0.19.3 because this is the version number till we decide to release 0.19.4 (if we ever do release it).
The developers need to really decide what and how they are going to proceed for the future. Releasing bug fixes, minor flag switches, and
new installers just because a commit got added. DO NOT Warrant a minor version change is just bad versioning.
This is very different from the developer builds that have new revision numbers for each release.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

What have a filename from an installer, which depends on the version of sourcecode which also is clearly written in the name, to do with bad versioning?

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

redbaron2 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:48 am This is all fine and dandy for keeping track of the updates for those users in the know or that download the installer from the website. This does not help for package managers like Chocolatey whose packages are immutable. I can not just update package version 0.19.3 this week because some developer decided; oh this installer needs a flag for skipping integrity. Then another installer is done due to a bad dependency, and another for a save bug, but all the versions are 0.19.3 because this is the version number till we decide to release 0.19.4 (if we ever do release it).
The developers need to really decide what and how they are going to proceed for the future. Releasing bug fixes, minor flag switches, and
new installers just because a commit got added. DO NOT Warrant a minor version change is just bad versioning.
This is very different from the developer builds that have new revision numbers for each release.
I understand your concern, but I see no reason to not make a new installer. The person that asked for that flag claimed to be a packager actually so we now have two packagers asking for different things. I agree there are some consistency issues with freecad's versioning, how do you propose this kind of changes be handled? Don't tell me release a installer a never change it, because sometimes there are issues with the installer, we can't change the version number if just the installer was changed, this would be caos IMO, having different version numbers depending on OS :?
Would it be better if the installer doesn't change name? The hash would still change so the chocolatey package would still need to be updated, don't know if it's easier if the same filename is kept or better if it changes.

Also I'm not understanding you fully:
Then another installer is done due to a bad dependency, and another for a save bug, but all the versions are 0.19.3
Releasing bug fixes, minor flag switches, and new installers just because a commit got added. DO NOT Warrant a minor version change
which are you against and which one do you support? It's not clear.
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

adrianinsaval I am being sarcastic here.
redbaron2 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:48 am... DO NOT Warrant a minor version change is just bad versioning. ...
, but this is how the current versioning system is for FreeCAD.
adrianinsaval wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:21 pm ...
I understand your concern, but I see no reason to not make a new installer.
I never said that creating a new installer was not the correct course of action. The problem is in the ways this installer versioning implemention is just odd and :? .
I will try to explain this below
Due to the logical processing of a updater for most automatic updating packages in the Chocolatey Community Feed. The jumping of this or that installer file without a filename version change causes problems.

Current freeCAD Installer
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/download/0.19.3/FreeCAD-0.19.3-WIN-x64-installer-4.exe
The basic reading of this url gives the impression that the version is 0.19.3 but when looking at the File Version of the installer it is 0.19.3.4
This version update is not made available without downloading the installer file and reading that file version. This will take valuable time and bandwidth that could have been made easier by just changing the url to read https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... 3/FreeCAD-0.19.3.4-WIN-x64-installer.exe

There are other methods of deducing a file change, but they all require wasting bandwidth to check for additional data points and then comparing them. If the developers do not want to change the current status quo. I can make it so that the digit before the file extension is automatically added to the version to create a version of (Ex: 0.19.3.4), but making the url change would be more legible in the future.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We could of course distinguish between the version of a precompiled package and the FreeCAD version inside. But that would sure lead to other confusion: imagine you install the package 0.19.5 and you get 0.19.3.
So it seems very reasonable to me to increase the minor number as soon as a new package is provided.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

inviting packagers to this
uwestoehr wrote:
sgrogan wrote:
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:56 pm
I'm curious if the delay in having downloadable assets for 0.19.4 is because of the discussion in this thread?

--
RB
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

redbaron2 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:50 pm I'm curious if the delay in having downloadable assets for 0.19.4 is because of the discussion in this thread?
I rather guess that everybody is busy in getting 0.20 ready. In a month nobody talks about good old 0.19 anymore.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.