Include .deb and .rpm in release assets

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
roipoussiere

Include .deb and .rpm in release assets

Post by roipoussiere »

I could be practical to include .deb and .rpm packages in the release assets, in addition to AppImage.

These formats are published in various linux distribution, but are not always up to date. The possibility to install FreeCAD via .deb or .rpm instead via AppImage will be more than welcome for many users!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Include .deb and .rpm in release assets

Post by adrianinsaval »

The deb package should be made for what distro and what version? my understanding is that the deb package would be different for each version of Debian and each version of Ubuntu and sometimes require a specific version of OCC (and who knows what else) that would have to be provided as a deb package too, so isn't it better to leave that in the appropriate repos? I'm not familiar with it but I suspect the same goes for rpm
vm4dim

Post by vm4dim »

roipoussiere

Post by roipoussiere »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:07 pm The deb package should be made for what distro and what version? my understanding is that the deb package would be different for each version of Debian and each version of Ubuntu and sometimes require a specific version of OCC (and who knows what else) that would have to be provided as a deb package too, so isn't it better to leave that in the appropriate repos? I'm not familiar with it but I suspect the same goes for rpm
I though that .deb and .rpm packages was able to avoid this problem because they used to manage dependencies.
vm4dim wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:35 pm Ubuntu FreeCAD Daily Builds
http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-mainta ... cad-daily/
I didn't know this page, is it possible to add it on the Linux install page in the wiki? I'm not yet able to edit it.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

the instructions to add the ppa to your repositories are already there