Starts from Install Finish but not from desktop icon

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lekes

Re: Starts from Install Finish but not from desktop icon

Post by Lekes »

As I stated in my original text, I am not very technical. I can run programs. Much beyond that, I would just contact the IT Department at work. But I am retired now. I’m looking for a CAD program for home projects. And please forgive me if I am not posting or quoting properly…I’m trying to learn. In the meantime, I will do what I know to do.

YES…I did try to find my issue on the "Known OS Specific Issues" page beforehand…but I didn’t know what I was looking for. I went back and kept looking and found something similar posted by russhart… https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69963 He said there was an issue if there were multiple screens. I have a laptop but a larger monitor that I do most of my work on. Also, in the following text string it was implied that it seemed to be a Windows 10 issue. So, here is what I’ve done and discovered.

I updated to Windows 11. I can open FreeCAD on my laptop. If I move the window to my large monitor, It seems stable when I work on it (I did not do a lot…just modified a test part). If I close FreeCAD there on the large monitor. I have a problem opening it again. I have to remove the large monitor from my setup to get FreeCAD to open again on my laptop monitor. However, if I move the FreeCAD window back to my laptop before closing, it will open again on my laptop. Then I can move it to the large monitor to work on it.

As far as the other technical stuff he talks about in his posting…I’m lost. It may not be convenient, but I can work with it. If there is a better fix, please respond like you’re talking to a computer idiot…I am not very technical.
Thank you all for your help.
mtfree

Post by mtfree »

I read this thread and found I have a similar problem, brand new, first attempt to download the application started yesterday using the button on the Windows page and also at https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.20.2 hoping that it might be a slightly different version.
The FreeCAD icon appears on the screen and when clicked the application never appears. I see the logo appear with a banner at the bottom stating:
searching >initializing>loading>running> but the application fails to open, with this error logged. Any further suggestions?

The administrative error log, as follows:

Code: Select all

Faulting application name: FreeCAD.exe, version: 0.20.2.2, time stamp: 0x63901cdf
Faulting module name: Qt5WebEngineCore.dll, version: 5.15.2.0, time stamp: 0x5fad38ab
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x000000000014baff
Faulting process id: 0x1f68
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9310bf2d76e6a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\FreeCAD.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\Qt5WebEngineCore.dll
Report Id: 76cd7ef7-f2d5-449e-993c-4279832e0a30
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Below is perhaps a more detailed report of the error?

Code: Select all

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          1/26/2023 1:26:02 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DESKTOP-IHRAUBI
Description:
Faulting application name: FreeCAD.exe, version: 0.20.2.2, time stamp: 0x63901cdf
Faulting module name: Qt5WebEngineCore.dll, version: 5.15.2.0, time stamp: 0x5fad38ab
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x000000000014baff
Faulting process id: 0x1ef8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d931ccb510b744
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\FreeCAD.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\Qt5WebEngineCore.dll
Report Id: 7cda5c91-9a69-4d37-9047-9b5d5e6a19c9
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-01-26T21:26:02.7421348Z" />
    <EventRecordID>40184</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-IHRAUBI</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>FreeCAD.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.20.2.2</Data>
    <Data>63901cdf</Data>
    <Data>Qt5WebEngineCore.dll</Data>
    <Data>5.15.2.0</Data>
    <Data>5fad38ab</Data>
    <Data>80000003</Data>
    <Data>000000000014baff</Data>
    <Data>1ef8</Data>
    <Data>01d931ccb510b744</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\FreeCAD.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\Qt5WebEngineCore.dll</Data>
    <Data>7cda5c91-9a69-4d37-9047-9b5d5e6a19c9</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Lekes wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:11 pm I have a laptop but a larger monitor that I do most of my work on.
That changes everything. You can forget just about everything that has already been said in this topic.

Multiple screens can be difficult, especially with laptops. Most laptops have relatively minimal graphics capabilities. It would be relatively uncommon for a laptop to fully support a large screen external monitor. Yes, they can talk to projectors and they can display text, spreadsheets, etc. on external monitors. Splitting output from more graphics-intensive programs can be challenging.

I suggest you focus your effort on searching the forum for multiple monitors and similar topics.

Gene
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

When I ordered this laptop, I did so with the intent of running CAD. The IT person where I worked at thew time helped me. We selected the best graphics card with a huge amount of memory. She knew I was running a second monitor. I trust she knew what she was getting me into. That said, technology evolves and it is possible my laptop is now inadequate.

I do now have a workable "fix" that I can go forward with. It's not ideal...but I can work with it. I might need to look into the tower. Thanks.

Leon
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

uuuuuughhhh I completely forgot about that bug... yes it's a known problem of unknown cause, but freecad fails to launch on the situation you describe, sadly no known solution for this, guess you'll have to move freecad to the laptop screen before closing... althought I think there is a registry key you can remove to get freecad to launch without having to disconnect your second monitor
GeneFC wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:35 pm Splitting output from more graphics-intensive programs can be challenging.
I don't think it's problem with the laptops power or capability, AFAIK freecad works fine on either monitor when it manages to launch, I think this is just a bug in qt when restoring the window position, would be interesting to test if this is still an issue on a qt6 build
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

mtfree wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:12 pm
do you have a multi monitor setup? if not then this is a different issue so I suggest you create a new topic instead of hijacking this one.
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

Yes...I have a laptop and 1 additional monitor.

Agreed...don't want this to stray to another topic. I consider this topic "solved" due to the known bug. But how do I close this or stop comments?
mtfree

Post by mtfree »

My apologies, I have never posted on any forum before. My intent was not to hijack, only to somehow get Freecad loaded and running. No, I am not running a laptop nor do I have multiple monitors so I will try to exit gracefully and figure out how to create a new topic.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Lekes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:01 pm But how do I close this or stop comments?
You can't, and there is no need. It is a longstanding practice that topics never (~~) get closed or deleted.

Gene