Starts from Install Finish but not from desktop icon

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Starts from Install Finish but not from desktop icon

Post by adrianinsaval »

please try the conda portable version, not the installer as it uses a different set of libraries. Another option is to try installing for your user only instead of system wide, I suspect permission issues. You can also try fully deleting these folders:

Code: Select all

%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\
%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Temp\FreeCAD
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

PLEASE BE SPECIFIC. I do not know computers. I can operate software but when you start talking code, what files to delete, what to install…you lose me if you are not more specific. Sorry for being ignorant.
What is “conda portable version”? When I go to the site using the link from your previous post, I see numerous files listed. I used the installer for Ver 21…OK, I get that was not what you intended. I have uninstalled that version. I see 4 files that seem to be for Windows, 2 are txt documents and 2 appear to be programs…does it matter which?
Also, I tried installing for me only instead of anyone using my computer (doesn’t really matter…personal PC and nobody else has access) but I got the same results. I had to search for the uninstall file because it put it in a different area: C:\Users\ XXXXXXXX \ AppData\Local\Programs\FreeCAD (XXXXXXXX is me...I’m trying to remain anonymous here) I uninstalled and tried installing again (Ver 0. 20.2 that's online), same results. Tried to uninstall but it wants to uninstall from C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\ AppData\Local\Programs\FreeCAD rather than C:\Program Files\FreeCAD where the files are and it won’t let me change where to uninstall files from. So I still have all the files in C:\Program Files\FreeCAD. Does it matter? Will this lead to a conflict later?
I have not tried to delete folders you mentioned in last post pending how you respond to this post. I fear I’m messing up my computer at this point. I’m trying to understand…please be patient with me.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Same as with the %APPDATA% folder before you can put those paths in the file explorer to get there, about the conda release I suggest trying the file named something like (there will be many numbers instead of the *) FreeCAD_weekly-builds-*-conda-Windows-x86_64-py310.7z, this is a compressed file, you might need to install 7zip to extract it, after extracting in the bin folder you will find freecad.exe, try running that.
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

OK...I downloaded and extracted as you said. Found application in the \bin\ folder. Started 1st time but again failed on 2nd attempt to open. I also found and deleted 2 folders you mentioned previously. FreeCAD would not open...got white screen and "not responding".

I still have everything in C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20 from previous install that would not uninstall (all the Conda files were extracted to another location)...could it have run the conda version on that? Is it safe to just delete all the files in C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20 ?

At this point I'm wondering...Might it just be something about my computer? But that doesn't make sense to me since it will open once, just not the second time.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Lekes wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:46 pm I still have everything in C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20 from previous install that would not uninstall (all the Conda files were extracted to another location)...could it have run the conda version on that? Is it safe to just delete all the files in C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20 ?
It should be safe
I'm really confused about this one... it can't be graphics driver because it wouldn't work the first time then, could it be an antivirus messing with freecad? I assume you have tried restarting windows? try doing it by pressing shift while clicking on the poweroff button in the start menu, this would force windows to make a real shutdown as normally windows doesn't fully shutdown and this can cause many weird problems.

Does running freecad as admin help?
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

I shut down my laptop every night. But in case....I tried shutting down by holding down the shift while clicking on the Shut Down. I waiting about 2 minutes then started computer again. Tried to start FreeCAD using the conda FreeCAD.exe....did not open except for the white screen and "Not Responding".

I am the only one that uses this computer. A tech person, trusted friend of a trusted friend, set up and transferred all files when I got this new laptop. Haven't had any problems until now. I do not know if I am signed on as me or as admin. I just push the ON button to turn it on...no sign-in. How do I find out and how do I sign on as admin?
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

Also, I do not have any anti-virus other than what is with Windows 10. Tech said it was not needed. Never had a problem...so far.
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

Also, I don't have any anti-virus other than what's with Windows 10. Tech said not needed. Haven't had any problems.
MMETSS Solutions

Post by MMETSS Solutions »

Dear Team,
I have successfully installed FreeCAD. Sadly, when I open it, it appears to be opening and then it does not. I have followed some steps on the forum for a similar problem someone had and I have uploaded the attached file for help, please. Regards.
FreeCAD.log
(17.11 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!
MMETSS Solutions wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:49 pm Sadly, when I open it, it appears to be opening and then it does not. I have followed some steps on the forum for a similar problem someone had and I have uploaded the attached file for help, please. Regards.FreeCAD.log
Did you look already at the Known OS specific issues?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.