[Solved] Stuck At First Hurdle.

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lewie

[Solved] Stuck At First Hurdle.

Post by Lewie »

Hi all.
I installed FreeCAD 0.20.1
All went well and looked as it should, however, somehow the workbench window is now filling my screen instead of being say 3/4 across the screen and if I select combo view the models/tasks window opens at the top of the screen, horizontally and not to the left of the screen vertically.
And even if it did open to the left vertically it would cover part of the workbench screen.
I uninstalled, cleared settings, cleaned my registry but when I reinstall it still opens as above.
What am I doing wrong? :?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Stuck At First Hurdle.

Post by adrianinsaval »

Try to post screenshots for this kind of question. What did you clear in registry? Open regedit.exe and delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\FreeCAD key to remove window position settings. @uwestoehr does the windows uninstaller remove this registry key? If not please add that to the next installer.
Lewie

Post by Lewie »

Thanks for the reply Adrian.
I cleaned the registry in case it was holding any FreeCad keys so I could get a truly fresh install.
As I stated, it was fine when I first opened it.
But it must have kept some information somewhere because even with a fresh install it opened with my messed up settings (pic included)
I think I've sorted it now.
It was a case of dragging the panel window to where I wanted it, it resized then I had to close the panel box and reopen to save the position.
I must have touched the panel and held the left mouse button accidentally.
My first go at Cad and as I haven't even put a line on the screen yet, you can be sure (in the words of Arnie) I'll be back!! :D
Cheers
Attachments
FreeCadB.JPG
FreeCadB.JPG (92.51 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:23 pm Try to post screenshots for this kind of question. What did you clear in registry? Open regedit.exe and delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\FreeCAD key to remove window position settings. @uwestoehr does the windows uninstaller remove this registry key? If not please add that to the next installer.
@uwestoehr before the 0.20.2 could you add this registry key to the uninstaller? This is the window position information saved by Qt (includes panels and toolbars)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:24 pm @uwestoehr before the 0.20.2 could you add this registry key to the uninstaller? This is the window position information saved by Qt (includes panels and toolbars)
Reading this thread now the first time, it seems the user had a previous installation of FreeCAD. There is not much we can do for these cases. I mean people upgrade from e.g. 0.19.x to 0.20.x. Then the uninstaller is never executed. Many users keep FC 0.19 and 0.20 side by side so we cannot delete the settings that will affect all FreeCAD version on a PC.

What can be done is that when the user execute the uninstaller and enables the installer option to remove also the user settings, that we delete this registry folder.
-> I will implement this when I find time.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:24 am What can be done is that when the user execute the uninstaller and enables the installer option to remove also the user settings, that we delete this registry folder.
-> I will implement this when I find time.
this is what I meant, as you can see many people attempt to fix stuff like this by uninstalling, expecting that the config will be reset doing that
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:31 am this is what I meant, as you can see many people attempt to fix stuff like this by uninstalling, expecting that the config will be reset doing that
But I see now that when you run the FreeCAD installer, the particular registry key is already removed. So even when upgrading from FC 0.20.1 to 0.20.2, the registry key is removed. Therefore I cannot reproduce the bug reported in the initial post.

However, I implemented now that on uninstalling AND checking the remove also preferences option, the registry key is also removed:
git commit fc12f15e

This change is in the installer for FC 0.20.2.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Solved] Stuck At First Hurdle.

Post by adrianinsaval »

The user may have installed then unintentionally moved panels and didn't know how to reset, I've seen it before. Thanks for adding it to the uninstaller!