Source tar doesn't include git info

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Nsikak1

Source tar doesn't include git info

Post by Nsikak1 »

How do i update the local repo after downloading the source tar?
By doing git init myself?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Source tar doesn't include git info

Post by adrianinsaval »

use git clone if you want a git repo (you can use --depth 1 if you don't want to fetch the whole history), tarballs are snapshots, also if you are going to use tarballs prefer the freecad_source.tar.gz files over the autogenerated tarballs form github since they include full version information.
Nsikak1

Post by Nsikak1 »

adrianinsaval wrote:
Yes I did manage to install with git clone --depth 1, But I was not able to update the source tar.gz(releases) it would have been better if it had the necessary git files(equivalent of --depth 1). the wiki is majorly lacking, I'll probably edit a ton during this week even full page rewrite, but I'll have to test and familiarize my self with freecad workflow first
waebbl

Post by waebbl »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:48 pm if you are going to use tarballs prefer the freecad_source.tar.gz files
Where are they supposed to be? AFAICS the FreeCAD github release pages only contain the autogenerated source tarballs and the binary packages.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Ah sorry I thought they were on the main repo release page :? they are generated and are available here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bundle/releases you might need to expand the assets list.