adding slvs to master for asm3

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

adding slvs to master for asm3

Post by freman »

Hi,

I have a recent master build and when I open a file I made about a year back using asm3 on a local build it says it lacks solver slvs and asks if I want to "download" it. It does not say what thinks it needs to do or where it will put it or how.

Clearly this is intended for a normal release, so I'm hesitant to blindly click OK and let it mess around. My master clone is root access so it may fail anyway.

Looking back at my notes, I had installed this into a build of FreeCAD-LinkStage3 last time under Ext/freecad/asm3

I don't see anything similar in master, despite that it has asm3 and asm4 workbenches included, it seems.

Trawling around the master tree, I see Ext/freecad but there is no asm3.

Where should this be added ?

TIA.

Code: Select all

OS: Fedora Linux 35 (Thirty Five) (LXQt//usr/share/xsessions/lxqt)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30265 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c35244e74f326a04c5bcab31e984742db582ac78
Python 3.10.6, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.0.3, OCC 7.5.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods: 
  * FreeCAD_Assembly4 0.11.10
  * FreeCAD_assembly3
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: adding slvs to master for asm3

Post by adrianinsaval »

I recommend just uninstalling and installing again the workbench through the addon manager, it will ask you if you want to install py_slvs and install it in the right place if you say yes. I also recommend not running apps as root unless you need to (and I don't see why you would ever need this for FreeCAD).
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks, I did not say I ran anything as root. The FC files are owned by root as most system files are. They are read access for the user.

It turns out that asm3 is installed in ~/FreeCAD , I thought by now it was integrated in the FreeCAD source tree. It seems not. That is why I was not finding it.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

addons and addon dependencies are installed at the user level, even if asm3 came installed with freecad (it can't due to licensing IIRC) there's no need to install additional dependencies in root directories, the user level directories would also be loaded so just install extra stuff there.