Manjaro FreeCAD version confusion

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
theber

Manjaro FreeCAD version confusion

Post by theber »

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30029 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: makepkg
Hash: 7f23e793eb136def6aee0f0ce8131bbbb6cd21e6
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.15.5, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * Assembly4 0.11.10
  * fasteners 0.3.40
  * temp_renamed_by_me_A2pConstraintDiagnostics
  * BIM 2021.12.0
  * A2plus 0.4.55
  * BIM.backup1662190127.9032624
I just noticed that my FreeCAD version in Manjaro opened as 0.21. I thought that something must be wrong, so I deinstalled it. I checked, and the version supplied by ARCH is listed as 0.20.1-5. I reinstalled FreeCAD using the Manjaro package manager, and it said that it was installing version 0.20.1-2. It starts as 0.21 though, see above.

I do have an Appimage of FreeCAD 0.21 on this PC, so it seems like the "standard" installation is being affected by the "parallel" installation. This would explain why the "fresh" installation contains the BIM workbench and others, I suppose.

This is the version information from the Appimage installation:

Version: 0.21.30256 (Git) AppImage
Branch: master
Hash: 55866fd62221beadad3cfd60915278b156609a66
Python 3.10.6, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.2
Installed mods: 
  * Assembly4 0.11.10
  * fasteners 0.3.40
  * temp_renamed_by_me_A2pConstraintDiagnostics
  * BIM 2021.12.0
  * A2plus 0.4.55
  * BIM.backup1662190127.9032624
I wouldn't say that this has caused any problems so far, but is this behavior to be expected?
...alles ist fertig. es muss nur noch gemacht werden...
...that would be the easy way, but it wouldn't be the cowboy way...
onekk
Veteran

Re: Manjaro FreeCAD version confusion

Post by onekk »

theber wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:36 pm ...
It depends!

The AppImage is usually "more recent" that any distribution version, were the packagers may not follow too tight upstream developer, but your mileage may vary as some developers here are also "maintainer or co-maintainer of "official packages" for some distribution, so It depends!.

Manjaro being an Arch derivative is following Arch with versions of packages, but being a derivative it could package a more recent version of a package and put that version in "his own" repository using for the rest the "upstream repository" (those from stock Arch Linux).

Hope it helps.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

The appimage does not intefere with your installed version, this was just a packaging bug in archlinux due to a mistake that a FreeCAD maintainer made when tagging the 0.20.1 version of FreeCAD, see https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/75735 it has already been fixed but due to the lag in manjaro repos you won't see this until their next update. So you are indeed running 0.21.30029
theber

Post by theber »

@adrianinsaval
OK, thanks, I can understand that. I also checked on another computer, this time with ARCH installed, and it runs 0.21 even though the repositories only show 0.20 available.
But there is still some cross-pollination going on, because on both computers (Manjaro and ARCH), the "vanilla" install is showing up with the BIM workbench installed. This workbench I installed in the appimage versions, so I would have expected to have to add it manually to the "vanilla" versions.
It's not a complaint by any means. I'm just trying to understand.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

installed addons are shared between versions, but the version info of the distro package is not affected by having the appimage installed. Regarding your arch installation, are you sure of this? is your arch install fully updated? are you sure you are not using an AUR package or unofficial repo (like chaotic AUR)? Are you sure you are actually running the distro install?
The archlinux package should be correct now: https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-c ... GBUILD#L29 (this matches https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree/0.20.1)
theber

Post by theber »

@adrianinsaval
Just to be sure, I just deinstalled FreeCAD from my ARCH installation, and then reinstalled it, using the normal repositories. I have never installed FreeCAD using AUR on any computer.
So this is what I have now:

Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git)
Branch: makepkg
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.10.6, Qt 5.15.5, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.5.3
Installed mods: 
  * A2plus 0.4.56a
  * BIM 2021.12.0
  * fasteners 0.4.3
  * BOLTSFC
(The Manjaro version on the other computer is at 0.21.30029 after a fresh install. What the hey?)
Anyway as you can see, the BIM workbench is included. And the macro BOLTSFC also has to be installed manually, if I remember correctly. A2Plus and fasteners I'm not sure.
It must be that the new installation via the ARCH package manager is "borrowing" components from the appimage which is already in place.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

theber wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:03 pm So this is what I have now:
that's correct, it's the latest stable release
theber wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:03 pm (The Manjaro version on the other computer is at 0.21.30029 after a fresh install. What the hey?)
that's due to the bug I linked to, like I said manjaro lags behind archlinux so you won't see the fixed package until the next manjaro update
theber wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:03 pm Anyway as you can see, the BIM workbench is included. And the macro BOLTSFC also has to be installed manually, if I remember correctly. A2Plus and fasteners I'm not sure.
It must be that the new installation via the ARCH package manager is "borrowing" components from the appimage which is already in place.
those are addons you downloaded, they are installed by default at $HOME/.local/FreeCAD/Mod so this is tied to your user, not to a specific freecad installation, appimage or not.
theber

Post by theber »

Perfect. Now I understand what's going on, and it all makes sense.
(Just one little change: the addons are at $HOME/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod)

Thanks for you help and your patience.