0.20 no start after installation on Windows 10

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HexaKhan

Re: 0.20 no start after installation on Windows 10

Post by HexaKhan »

I just had this same problem on Windows 10. Nothing I did would resolve, no log files would write either when executing from Command Prompt.

Solution for me was to explicitly right click on the executable and "Run as Administrator", was only then able to open. Additionally, unless I ran Command Prompt as Administrator, no log file was writing.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This looks very much as if you are not allowed to write to your own FreeCAD directory. You can choose the file location with the commandline argument

Code: Select all

--log-file filename
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
HexaKhan

Post by HexaKhan »

I'd say so also, I'm not sure how it got into this state in my case (I'm a new FreeCAD user). I successfully installed it a few days ago and FreeCAD ran fine then. When I tried to re-launch yesterday, I started running into this issue. It's very possible FreeCAD initially launched without a problem since I may have opted to start it after installation (which I would assume would also launch it as admin). No idea, but just a thought.

I should add that I did a whole uninstall/re-install and ran into the same problem (but I don't believe I opted to launch FreeCAD after install and tried it manually where I ran into the same problem).
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

HexaKhan wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:03 pm I ran into the same problem).
Check to see where you are trying to write. You should "own" the C:\\Users\xxxxx\ folder with ordinary user permissions. However, if you are trying to write somewhere else, such as Program Files, then Windows will object unless you have elevated privileges.

Gene
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

hm, was there not a discussion about windows installer and that it always use admin (suppose when the option to install for all users is selected), and if an instance is started from installer it is thus a admin-privileged instance.

might be a practical way for sys-admins, but appears to render some noise in using for less involved users...
HexaKhan

Post by HexaKhan »

chrisb wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:49 pm This looks very much as if you are not allowed to write to your own FreeCAD directory. You can choose the file location with the commandline argument

--log-file filename
Just looping back to this, to try to help out, I actually tried to do this to a directory I know my user would have access to (such as my homedir or downloads) and it actually didn't log anything out again before getting the "Unknown runtime error", does this look correct?

"C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\FreeCAD.exe" --log-file "C:\Users\<user>\Downloads\Logfile.txt"
GeneFC wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:23 pm Check to see where you are trying to write. You should "own" the C:\\Users\xxxxx\ folder with ordinary user permissions. However, if you are trying to write somewhere else, such as Program Files, then Windows will object unless you have elevated privileges.
I'm actually not sure if this is a permissions issue now (at least for this particular directory), I am able to manually write a file fine into

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD
and checking the permissions on the FreeCAD dir (Right Click -> Properties -> Security Tab), it does show my particular user having the same full "Allow" access as the Administrators group does.

I can't speak for OP (assuming it works for them also), but I don't mind running as administrator as a workaround, but will happily help troubleshoot further if requested.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

on your freecad installation folder can you go to properties->security->advanced option and post a screenshot of what it shows? I'm thinking maybe your user doesn't have execute permissions to everything there.