[Closed-Unresolved] Updated to latest LibPack, cannot start PartDesign - please help!

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

[Closed-Unresolved] Updated to latest LibPack, cannot start PartDesign - please help!

Post by falviani »

Hi All,

Here is my version info (built from source Master, pulled this morning at 10 CDT):

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29190 (Git)
Build type: Debug
Branch: master
Hash: 81be38ea8dcec49376b6ab8e08f4a85605639f8d
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * FC_TabbedBoxWorkbench
I updated the CMake file (in the gui) to use "LibPack-OCC76-V2-6" in place of "FreeCADLibs_12.5.4_x64_VC17". I have double checked that ALL paths were updated. I cleaned the project before building, and ensured that C++17 was the version in use. Logging is turned on. The build completed with 117 successful projects, 0 failures, and no errors.

I have had a problem for a while now where I can't launch the part design workbench. It throws the following error:

11:58:48  DLL load failed while importing PartDesignGui: The specified module could not be found.
11:58:48  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 53, in Initialize
  File "E:\Dev\FreeCAD19_Output\bin\Lib\site-packages\shiboken2\files.dir\shibokensupport\__feature__.py", line 142, in _import
    return original_import(name, *args, **kwargs)

When I checked the log file, I found the following error (2 instances):

Log: Using E:\Dev\FreeCAD19_Output\Mod as module path!
Err: Error in InitApplications [WinError 3] The system cannot find the path specified: 'E:\\Dev\\FreeCAD19_Source\\FreeCADLibs_12.5.5_x64_VC17\\FreeCADLibs_12.5.5_x64_VC17\\bin'
I am absolutely certain that there are no remaining references to the previous lib pack in the CMake file, and ALL directory paths have been updated to the new LibPack. Can anybody provide any help - why the old LibPack is still referenced, and how to eliminate that?

Thanks in advance,
Frank Alviani

[edit] The offending LibPack reference is in the system PATH variable. Is it safe to just edit that to remove the obsolete libpack reference? [/edit]
Last edited by falviani on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Updated to latest LibPack, cannot start PartDesign - please help!

Post by adrianinsaval »

if anything breaks you can just add it back but the only thing that could break (IMO) would be an older build of freecad that you did using that libpack
falviani

Post by falviani »

Thanks for the info. Deleted it from the PATH variable, but that didn't help. I have NO idea where it is coming from. :(

Thanks again,
Frank Alviani
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

did you rebuild after removing from path? maybe it interfered with the build process
falviani

Post by falviani »

Hi,

Good news and not-so-good news:
1) Good: I found there was a global environment variable named "FreeCAD_LibPack_bin" that had the old libpack path defined. I updated it to the correct path and that error was eliminated. It feels like this is a leftover from a previous CMake process; perhaps somebody needs to look at this?
2) Not-so-good: I am still getting the following complaint, which seems to be enough to prevent PartDesignGui from loading:

Msg: Wizard shaft module cannot be loadedMsg: 
Err: DLL load failed while importing PartDesignGui: The specified procedure could not be found.
Err: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 53, in Initialize
  File "E:\Dev\FreeCAD19_Output\bin\Lib\site-packages\shiboken2\files.dir\shibokensupport\__feature__.py", line 142, in _import
    return original_import(name, *args, **kwargs)
Sigh. I don't know who to report this problem to, but I seem to be out of luck. It is frustrating to have a 100% successful build and then have this happen at runtime (the log file shows nothing wrong during the initialization phase for PartDesign).

Thanks for your patient help,
Frank
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't know if cmake would set environment variables and I don't know if it's a good idea to have that variable around, does the compilation not work if you don't set it globally? Also did you check your path env variable? Could be something conflicting there
Do you perhaps have some other installation of python around?

check this one: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 015#p31574 having some other version of occ in your path can break things
falviani

Post by falviani »

Hi,

1) Removing the FREECAD_LIBPAC_BIN environment variable does not affect the build process.
2) I did a pull this morning and a huge number of changes have been made.
3) After the pull, I did a configure/generate in CMake gui.
4) After ensuring the project was set to use C++17 (I have to do this everytime I build - very annoying that it's not persistant) I did a clean then build of the entire project.
5) Both with and without the environment variable there were 41 compilation errors involving being unable to open generated files. I assume this was a result of the pull, which modified a very large number of files.

I'll wait to try pulling again later and see if the source is in a more usable state...

[edit] The source was fixed and compiled just fine. Still can't load the wizard shaft module, even though it's present and has appropriate-looking CMake.txt files.

Thanks for the advice and your time,
Frank
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

did you check your PATH? do you have python installed? do you have some opencascade (Tk*) dll in your system32 folder?
falviani

Post by falviani »

Hi,

1) This machine has been use for some years, so I have multiple versions. I have Python 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8 installed.
2) No, there are no TK* dlls in the system32 folder.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Frank
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

so remove all python versions from your PATH variable (system and user), best to restart afterwards to make sure they really aren't set anymore.