Win 7 Msys2 : during building this error shows up 'fatal: not a git repository ...' !!

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Yasser

Win 7 Msys2 : during building this error shows up 'fatal: not a git repository ...' !!

Post by Yasser »

Hello,
during building by clang and clang++ compilers,
this error message shows up

Code: Select all

[16/3398] Copying C:/msys64/home/Baba/FreeCAD/src/Mod/AddonManager/compact_view.py to C:/msys64/home/Baba/Build/Mod/AddonManager/compact_view.py
[17/3398] Generating version_check
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
'bzr' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'/home/Baba/FreeCAD/src/Build/C:/msys64/home/Baba/FreeCAD' doesn't exist
svn: E155007: '/home/Baba/FreeCAD/src/Build/C:/msys64/home/Baba/FreeCAD' is not a working copy
Unknown version control
C:/msys64/home/Baba/Build/src/Build/Version.h.out written
[18/3398] Generating Version.h
[19/3398] Building CXX object src/3rdParty/libE57Format/CMakeFiles/E57Format.dir/src/CompressedVectorNodeImpl.cpp.obj
[20/3398] Building CXX object src/3rdParty/libE57Format/CMakeFiles/E57Format.dir/src/Common.cpp.obj
then continue building
so what is 'bzr' ?
and why svn module gives wrong directory as if it was 2 path's combined together by mistake !!??

svn: E155007: '/home/Baba/FreeCAD/src/Build/C:/msys64/home/Baba/FreeCAD' is not a working copy
where to fix this fatal error, if anyone have any idea pls help
thank you.
They call me Baba, the bug master :D
Let us throw some stones into still waters
Gift

Re: Win 7 Msys2 : during building this error shows up 'fatal: not a git repository ...' !!

Post by Gift »

Yasser wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:36 am Hello,
during building by clang and clang++ compilers,
this error message shows up

[16/3398] Copying C:/msys64/home/Baba/FreeCAD/src/Mod/AddonManager/compact_view.py to C:/msys64/home/Baba/Build/Mod/AddonManager/compact_view.py
[17/3398] Generating version_check
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
'bzr' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Unknown version control
C:/msys64/home/Baba/Build/src/Build/Version.h.out written
[18/3398] Generating Version.h
[19/3398] Building CXX object src/3rdParty/libE57Format/CMakeFiles/E57Format.dir/src/CompressedVectorNodeImpl.cpp.obj
[20/3398] Building CXX object src/3rdParty/libE57Format/CMakeFiles/E57Format.dir/src/Common.cpp.obj
then continue building
so what is 'bzr' ?
and why svn module gives wrong directory as if it was 2 path's combined together by mistake !!??

where to fix this fatal error, if anyone have any idea pls help
thank you.
Ad hoc, do not use absolute paths with windows style. E.g.:

C:/msys64/home/
I mean msys2 use chroot. So, it should be:

/home/
Yasser

Re: Win 7 Msys2 : during building this error shows up 'fatal: not a git repository ...' !!

Post by Yasser »

Gift wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:52 am Ad hoc, do not use absolute paths with windows style. E.g.:

C:/msys64/home/
I mean msys2 use chroot. So, it should be:

/home/
But i didn't change anything yet in the sources or even cmakelists.txt except that i added these lines before project(FreeCAD) at the main cmakelists

# Change compiler type
  set( CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER "C:/msys64/mingw64/bin/clang++.exe" )
  set( CMAKE_C_COMPILER   "C:/msys64/mingw64/bin/clang.exe" )
Gift

Post by Gift »

Set you one (green or red) of this paths?
Yasser

Post by Yasser »

Gift wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:41 am '/home/Baba/FreeCAD/src/Build/C:/msys64/home/Baba/FreeCAD' doesn't exist

Set you one (green or red) of this paths?
Okay i got it, but where to set it ?? this error happened between copying AddonManager and building E57Format (Generating version_checking)
anyway i'll try to find it, then write it here.
thank you for your hint.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

version_check tries to detect what version control system is used in the source and then extract the revision count, hash and last revision date from that, FreeCAD has been using git for years so that's the only version control relevant there really. Did you make a git clone of the project or download a snapshot? If you didn't do a git clone it's normal that version check fails, don't waste time trying to fix svn or bzr stuff, those are other version control system that of course won't work. Those weird paths might be affecting something else though.
Yasser

Post by Yasser »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:47 pm version_check tries to detect what version control system is used in the source and then extract the revision count, hash and last revision date from that, FreeCAD has been using git for years so that's the only version control relevant there really. Did you make a git clone of the project or download a snapshot? If you didn't do a git clone it's normal that version check fails, don't waste time trying to fix svn or bzr stuff, those are other version control system that of course won't work. Those weird paths might be affecting something else though.
You are right, i grabbed the new release 0.20.0 through git and the error disappeared.
thank you for the hint.