Python 3.7 version

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
devngc

Python 3.7 version

Post by devngc »

Can someone please tell me which one of these releases is for python 3.7?
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tags
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Python 3.7 version

Post by jmaustpc »

Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.

Perhaps first you should explain why you want to know and what you are trying to acheive, ...perhaps you are asking the wrong question?

There are limitations on which version of FreeCAD's code is compatible with (and to what extent) which version of Python, so in some cases "how" compatible it may be, but generally you select the Python version at compile time. Currently, for example, one version of FreeCAD is compiled with different version of Python for the packages for different versions of Ubuntu and its derivatives. 20.04 uses Python 3.8, from memory. I have not looked up the Python versions in older LTS versions, but as long as possible, we usually support all Ubuntu LTS versions, although it has in the past become difficult to impossible, to support the oldest LTS Ubuntu for its last few months.
devngc

Post by devngc »

Thanks for responding. I am mainly interested in using the Part module of FreeCAD. We at https://github.com/ladybug-tools have several packages that work with Python 3.7. I would like to create a package that can be bundled with other packages in the ecosystem. That is the reason I am looking for Python 3.7 flavor.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

All Python versions from 3.6 to 3.9 are supported. The latest Python versions are 3.10 and 3.11 and they are not yet tested.

You are pointing to a tagged version in the code repository but it's up to you then to build the binaries with your desired Python version.