Conversion from STEP to IFC file

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
tschtuk

Conversion from STEP to IFC file

Post by tschtuk »

Hello guys,

I am really newbie to FreeCAD, so sorry for any stupid and obvious questions. I want to tranform a STEP file (with around 40 objects) to IFC with FreeCAD, so I can enrich it/them with more semantic information. Also the coordination software is not able to read STEP.

My system:
  • Windows 10
    FreeCAD 0.18
    FreeCAD 0.19 (freshly downloaded today)
I thought I would just import the STEP file to FreeCAD and export it via the export to IFC button. Unfortunetly, with 0.18, the IFC file ist just 2KB large. I could export it to STL and then to OBJ but then all the objects are combined within one. I do not want that. With 0.19 I am able to to export it to IFC, but it makes also one object in the finsihed IFC files. While importing the STEP into FreeCAD i could see, that it regnonises all the objects, but the the tree was just showing one object (which got exportet).

Do you guys have any ideas?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Conversion from STEP to IFC file

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have a look at Preferences->Import/Export->Step. There are options to import separate objects. HTH.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tschtuk

Post by tschtuk »

Thanks! I After changing the preferences I was able to import the STEP file. After selecting all the objects, I could export them as BuildingElementProxies.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I do this very often. Use 0.19 version. The ifc exporter sometimes has problems with the body container.

If you get part objects out of the body container the ifc export works very vell. You might need to play a bit.

If you would like to set the ifc type other than proxies you need to turn the objects into Arch structures and set the ifc type to your wish.

Make sure to use export option 'force brep' generally this works much better. But since a step is a bound of faces this might not solve your problem. It is just a hint.