Installation of IfcOpenShell

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
vocx
Veteran

Installation of IfcOpenShell

Post by vocx »

I decided to collect the information about installing and compiling IfcOpenShell in a new wiki page, IfcOpenShell.

The information in that page existed all over the place in various forum threads, some as old as 2013, so I decided to organize things a bit.

1. In general, in this day and age (2020), installing IfcOpenShell is easy; the Windows, MacOS, and Linux AppImage distributions of FreeCAD already contain IfcOpenShell, so there is no additional installation necessary; you can start using it immediately. Head to Download.

2. For other cases, you should use a precompiled version of IfcOpenShell from the IfcOpenBot/IfcOpenShell repository. This is explained in the IfcOpenShell page.

3. For advanced users, you may compile IfcOpenShell yourself. This isn't very hard to do, especially if you already have experience compiling FreeCAD from source in Linux (Compile on Linux).

For some reason, the IfcOpenShell project expects as default the "community edition" of OpenCASCADE, abbreviated OCE. I don't think this is under active maintenance, so normally you would use the "official" OpenCASCADE sources.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bernd
Veteran

Re: Installation of IfcOpenShell

Post by bernd »

wow, very cool wki page! Since it is very detailed, you may post about in os.arch forum and on ifcopenshell forum itself.

cheers bernd
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Yes, great job! I'm with bernd, you should post it in osarch forum too!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

+1 @vocx
Thank you.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

You might also want to notice reader that ifcopenshell is available for some distributions : Kunda1 showed it nicely (but I don't know why they are not all visible) in this post
Alike you can get :
I blog about HVAC / BIM / Energy : pythoncvc.net. If you like you can follow the RSS feed.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Cyril wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:04 pm You might also want to notice reader that ifcopenshell is available for some distributions :
This is mentioned in the IfcOpenShell page. "You may install it from your package manager, if it is available."

However, since IfcOpenShell is still not included in many repositories, I decided to not stress this too much. In any case, using a pre-compiled version is a simple alternative.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

Nice. It looks I didn't read carefully enough. Thanks. And yes I understand your point.
I blog about HVAC / BIM / Energy : pythoncvc.net. If you like you can follow the RSS feed.
proghettolab

Post by proghettolab »

vocx wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:38 am I decided to collect the information about installing and compiling IfcOpenShell in a new wiki page, IfcOpenShell.

The information in that page existed all over the place in various forum threads, some as old as 2013, so I decided to organize things a bit.

1. In general, in this day and age (2020), installing IfcOpenShell is easy; the Windows, MacOS, and Linux AppImage distributions of FreeCAD already contain IfcOpenShell, so there is no additional installation necessary; you can start using it immediately. Head to Download.

2. For other cases, you should use a precompiled version of IfcOpenShell from the IfcOpenBot/IfcOpenShell repository. This is explained in the IfcOpenShell page.
Do you have any installation tips for FreeCAD Snapcraft version?
Wherever I move the precompiled IfcOpenShell folder to any folder in the home/user/snap/freecad path I cannot insert IFC files in FreeCAD.
No modules found!
:!:
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Before someone may explain the installation, you may try AppImage version :)

https://www.freecadweb.org/thankyou.php ... 0.AppImage
proghettolab

Post by proghettolab »

paullee wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:56 pm Before someone may explain the installation, you may try AppImage version :)

https://www.freecadweb.org/thankyou.php ... 0.AppImage
Yes, it's better than snapcraft (too close)!
AppImage + putting the ifcopenshell (for python 3.10 64bit Linux) directory with

Code: Select all

mv -t $HOME/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ ifcopenshell/

now I import IFC files.
Thx @paullee!