Material Status

A forum to discuss the implementation of a good Materials system in FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
catman

Material Status

Post by catman »

Fosselius made this great post in the Assembly section "Current Assembly Status".

Wouldn't it be great to have a quick summary like that for the Material section?

I had been reading quite a bit in here, but did not really manage to get a good feel where work actually is and what the greatest needs are. Maybe others find this interesting and helpful as well.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Material Status

Post by Kunda1 »

@catman per our guidelines please remove version info from signature as it will lead to confusion for contemporary users and posterity.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
catman

Post by catman »

@Kunda1 thanks telling me.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

catman wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:55 pm @Kunda1 thanks telling me.
:+1:
Thanks for your understanding.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

catman wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:04 pm Fosselius made this great post in the Assembly section "Current Assembly Status".

Wouldn't it be great to have a quick summary like that for the Material section?

I had been reading quite a bit in here, but did not really manage to get a good feel where work actually is and what the greatest needs are. Maybe others find this interesting and helpful as well.
there is no active development going on in material. From time to time there are some improvements made from Arch/Draft or FEM folks. These are the only WBs which use the material system ATM.

BUT! there is this great enhancement which makes the material system available all over FreeCAD for every part. See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16714 But ATM this does not rebase on master AFAIK.
catman

Post by catman »

bernd wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:01 pm BUT! there is this great enhancement which makes the material system available all over FreeCAD for every part. See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16714 But ATM this does not rebase on master AFAIK.
Thanks. That looks like a very good start. Also I was not aware that Materials exist in some workbenches, I guess I had looked only in the properties fields. One something is established, I guess things might start coming together quickly.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

bernd wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:01 pm From time to time there are some improvements made from Arch/Draft or FEM folks. These are the only WBs which use the material system ATM.
Assembly4 workbench would use it if it were available, to calculate mass and center of gravity: that's one of the core functions of an assembly. Is there any chance to come up with something here ? Actually: what is the big issue about materials ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

some one would need to take care of this development https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=16714 it adds material to all parts as a property. But ATM it does not even rebase on master.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »