Strange rendering of result in Paraview

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

TimScottz8

Strange rendering of result in Paraview

Post by TimScottz8 »

Hi
I've asked the Paraview forum this question and they thought it might have something to do with my meshing, but I'm at a loss to know why so I thought I'd ask here. I've created a very simple wing with a tip and meshed it using SnappyHexMesh in as simple a way as I could. Then run it through openFoam and got a nice converged result. The problem happens when I view the results in Paraview. When I reduce the opacity of the internal mesh I got a random visible mesh inside my domain that obscures the result. I've attached the Freecad file that generated this issue. Any help on resolving this issue is gratefully received
Regards
Tim

Here's the view in Paraview I get
Screenshot_20211229_213322.png
Screenshot_20211229_213322.png (77.93 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
Attachments
Aerofoil.FCStd
(96.28 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
oliveroxtoby

Re: Strange rendering of result in Paraview

Post by oliveroxtoby »

TimScottz8 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:39 pm Hi
I've asked the Paraview forum this question and they thought it might have something to do with my meshing, but I'm at a loss to know why so I thought I'd ask here. I've created a very simple wing with a tip and meshed it using SnappyHexMesh in as simple a way as I could. Then run it through openFoam and got a nice converged result. The problem happens when I view the results in Paraview. When I reduce the opacity of the internal mesh I got a random visible mesh inside my domain that obscures the result. I've attached the Freecad file that generated this issue. Any help on resolving this issue is gratefully received
Regards
Tim

Here's the view in Paraview I get
Screenshot_20211229_213322.png
This is an artifact of the way the parallel decomposed mesh is displayed in Paraview. I think you can resolve it by using the 'Clean to grid' filter (in Paraview).
TimScottz8

Re: Strange rendering of result in Paraview

Post by TimScottz8 »

After a lot of fiddling I used reconstructPar and the artefact disappeared. Several mistakes I made in trying to use reconstructPar.
1) I had a space in a a folder name in the folder tree
2) There was too much nesting of folders, but after moving the containing folder to my Home folder it all worked.

Thanks for the clues to fix the problem

Tim