[Feature Request] Wiring plan based on TechDraw

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tobiasfalk

Re: [Feature Request] Wiring plan based on TechDraw

Post by tobiasfalk »

ragohix769 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:52 pm "Electric" IMHO it's not big enough. Because you can do even process plant (IE hydraulic, plumbing, HDVAC, etc etc) or general flow chart with this method and make a beautiful draw in techdraw at the end.
This may be a good base for hydraulic, plumbing, and so on but I personally would try to split these things apart so that one Workbench is not to cluttered.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Without developers, this idea does not make sense.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Evgeniy wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:46 pm Sooner or later , this idea had to come up ...
Evgeniy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:33 am Without developers, this idea does not make sense.
These comments are unnecessary.
Can you make more of an effort to either not superfluously comment... or at the very least inject less cynicism in to the discussion?
FLOSS works better this way.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Is it possible to have a sketcher-like tool that uses a view as support plane? The resulting geometry could be similar to cosmetic lines and may be set to custom color, width and style with the already existing tools.
It should also be able to position the need symbols such as connectors, valves switches...
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:11 am These comments are unnecessary.
Can you make more of an effort to either not superfluously comment... or at the very least inject less cynicism in to the discussion?
Everything I said is true...
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Well, then. If we continue this empty discussion, at first empty sheet class is need, written in Python. Similar to what is in Tech Draw.
The next class is graphic symbols. Next all this should be connected by some kind of lines.

Of course, these all can be taked from Tech Draw, but I think it should be a separate development.

If it is written in python, this development will probably have a life. If in C++ it will die without being born.

This is probably only 1% of what can be done. But there is no point in talking about the rest yet.
aapo

Post by aapo »

Evgeniy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:33 am Without developers, this idea does not make sense.
This is of course true. But, I think the idea of this thread is to make developers aware and interested about the idea. After all, all that is needed is a developer, who a) is capable of coding such Workbench and tools, and b) has a personal desire for such Workbench, and c) is made aware that this could be a feasible target for a project.

I guess this thread generally tries to address part c) by pointing out that such Workbench would be possible, and could perhaps be done as an extension to TechDraw. Of course, to succeed, a) and b) are also needed, and arguably more important, but there's nothing wrong with starting by promoting c).
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Evgeniy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:54 pm Well, then. If we continue this empty discussion
Context check...you're in an open source community discussion about a proposal for an idea. Where do you think you are...? corporate boardroom? shark tank? a start-up pitch session?

None of this is empty or inefficient or a waste of time.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

FBXL5 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:51 pm Is it possible to have a sketcher-like tool that uses a view as support plane? The resulting geometry could be similar to cosmetic lines and may be set to custom color, width and style with the already existing tools.
It should also be able to position the need symbols such as connectors, valves switches...
Were you thinking of something like a transparent overlay on top of a view that could be drawn on? That would be a neat way to annotate drawings.

I'm still not sure that TechDraw is the right base for this. I see making a print in TD as the last step in the process. But these days, maybe there isn't a need for the big roll of paper.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:32 am I'm still not sure that TechDraw is the right base for this.
Not suitable, because Tech draw was developed as an editor for limited edit. Here, most likely, free drawing of lines, etc.