Complex Sections

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
domad
Veteran

Re: Complex Sections

Post by domad »

rock.vice wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:11 pm ....
Hi @rock.vice, hello to the Community!
I fully agree with you (the standard provides, preferably, between 30° and 60°), I would also add that you should have the possibility of the translation parameter (horizontal and vertical) to be able to offset hatch.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@domad Note: no need to use the old-fashioned way to ping someone. if you use @ <--- char before the user name and type the usersname slowly a list of usernames will appear. If you choose one, it will automagically add the 'mention' bbcode to the handle and the user will get pinged like you did just now.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
aapo

Post by aapo »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:50 pm Is this not how it works now? The hatch lines in the rotated view line up with the lines in the unrotated view here (ie they retain their orientation relative to the page):
Oh yes, you are correct, I got a bit confused about that. Reading the thread further, it seems that the rotation of the hatching depends on the specific features of the drawing, so it probably cannot be done fully automatically. Or at least I think some user intervention is needed to fulfill all of the following "soft" requirements (soft meaning they should be followed, but that's not possible in all cases):
  • Hatching should not be parallel to any drawing edges
  • 45° is preferable, but 30° and 60° with any N*90° permutations are acceptable, and maybe some other angles if those don't work "nicely"
  • When rotating the view, the hatching should rotate, too; but this is optional in cases where the rotation is N*90° AND the other rules above can be fulfilled with a hatching without rotation, in which case the hatching can be made in the original non-rotated orientation
Regarding the last rule; I think I've seen a lot of drawings where the hatchings are in the same orientation to the page, but in this case the hatchings have clearly fulfilled the first rule about the hatching not being parallel to drawing edges.

Summarizing this, I think optimally we'd need a selection for hatching orientation base: [Page] or [View] (View would be default, obviously); and user rotation for hatching (default zero), which would be added to page rotation or View rotation depending on the previous choice; and finally hatching translation offset (default zero).
rock.vice

Post by rock.vice »

aapo wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:34 am Summarizing this, I think optimally we'd need a selection for hatching orientation base: [Page] or [View] (View would be default, obviously); and user rotation for hatching (default zero), which would be added to page rotation or View rotation depending on the previous choice; and finally hatching translation offset (default zero).
+1
A very accurate recap of the suggestions discussed in this thread.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

wandererfan wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:37 pm Should be fixed by git commit 13acca7504.
I tested it in a new Windows build (31155) and now it works as expected, thank you for fixing this issue.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:48 pm @domad Note: no need to use the old-fashioned way to ping someone. if you use @ <--- char before the user name and type the usersname slowly a list of usernames will appear. If you choose one, it will automagically add the 'mention' bbcode to the handle and the user will get pinged like you did just now.
@Kunda1 thanks for the tip, it's very convenient! :)
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

aapo wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:34 am When rotating the view, the hatching should rotate, too;
Still don't think so:
FBXL5 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:12 am In Assemblies with several sections you want to recognise which part belongs to a specific cut area and so each part has its own hatch pattern which differ at least in orientation and line spacing. If you turn the pattern with the view it would become harder to find the areas belonging to the same part in different section views. That's why orienting the pattern with the view should at least be avoided if not forbidden.
aapo wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:34 am Summarizing this, I think optimally we'd need a selection for hatching orientation base: [Page] or [View] (View would be default, obviously); and user rotation for hatching (default zero), which would be added to page rotation or View rotation depending on the previous choice; and finally hatching translation offset (default zero).
If there is a need for rotating patterns [View] should not be default. See above.

In the last 30+ years I haven't met anyone considering rotated hatch patterns correct. I live on the DIN/EN/ISO side of the pond and maybe it is different on the ANSI side.
rock.vice

Post by rock.vice »

FBXL5 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:44 am
If there is a need for rotating patterns [View] should not be default. See above.

In the last 30+ years I haven't met anyone considering rotated hatch patterns correct. I live on the DIN/EN/ISO side of the pond and maybe it is different on the ANSI side.
I think we all are basically saying the same thing. I hope that the drawing examples attached (as reported in UNI ISO 128-50) can help everyone to see the point we are trying to address.
Attachments
ISO_hatching.png
ISO_hatching.png (66.49 KiB) Viewed 983 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

FBXL5 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:44 am If there is a need for rotating patterns [View] should not be default. See above.
I have something in development that adds a Rotation property for Hatches. So far, just for Svg and Bitmap hatches.

Hatch Rotation is set to zero initially and the behaviour is the same as the current. If Hatch Rotation is set to the same value as the View's Rotation, then the behaviour is "aligned to View". Setting the rotation to some other value handles the situation where the hatch lines would otherwise be parallel to the face boundary lines.
Attachments
simpleRotated.png
simpleRotated.png (40.25 KiB) Viewed 968 times
sectionHatchRotated.png
sectionHatchRotated.png (43.8 KiB) Viewed 968 times
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Hi @wandererfan , hello to the Community!
Congratulations very, very good(!) we are going in the right direction.
All that's missing now is the ability to slide Hatch along "X" and "Y" to allow lines to be offset. :D
Speaking of Hatch, here's an interesting topic..... https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74028