Complex Sections

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rock.vice

Re: Complex Sections

Post by rock.vice »

All right. This new function is simply amazing.
Thank you for all your efforts that are pushing FreeCAD forward to another level
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:44 pm Preference > Annotation > Section line standard. ANSI is arrowheads at the section line and ISO is arrowheads away from the section line.
This needs a better description on the wiki page, at least. I wouldn't have guessed to find it there.
I never had the impression that the arrow direction depends on the chosen standard. I've seen both on drawings of the same company, different departments but all according to ISO standards.

If we have section line marks on complex sections they should also be found on simple sections. I have tried to aktivate them toggling the Section Line Marks property, but it neither aktivates mars for simple sections nor deactivates the marks of complex section.

It it great to see the tool getting better with every step. :)

If the creation of the section views including a proper orientation is stable, then the chrry ontop of the icing of the cace would be to find a solution to define the section line within the base view.
Dean_1405

Post by Dean_1405 »

Hello.

Complex sections are awesome, but there is something wrong with them or i don't fully understand how they work in FreeCAD.
I want to simply change arrows from pointing right/up to left/down (top picture), but 3 next pictures shows what results i get.

In this case angle between Sketch002 lines is 90°, but it doestn work with lower and greater angle too.

I have also found, that if you select PolarPattern and Sketch002 and perform Complex Section Cut FreeCAD will crash.

Sorry for poor english and thanks for your awesome work :)

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 1282fdb7e8a721e9b411358d68daf8921b0bf50a
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.12.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.5.2
Locale: Polish/Poland (pl_PL)
Installed mods: 
  * Curves 0.5.12
  * sheetmetal 0.2.58
  * LCInterlocking
Attachments
test1.jpg
test1.jpg (65.9 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
test1.FCStd
(36.79 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by Dean_1405 on Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@Dean_1405 please remember to always add your full About info when posting potential bugs etc... TIA
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Dean_1405 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:28 pm Complex sections are awesome, but there is something wrong with them or i don't fully understand how they work in FreeCAD.
I want to simply change arrows from pointing right/up to left/down (top picture), but 3 next pictures shows what results i get.
The quick pick buttons adjust the view direction. The arrows are a function of the view direction and the normal of the profile segment. A view direction that is parallel to a profile segment doesn't really make sense. In your sample file any view direction in the green areas will give good results. Please make allowance for my limited artistic talents.
test1_2AlignedSections_goodDirections.png
test1_2AlignedSections_goodDirections.png (43.83 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Dean_1405 wrote:I have also found, that if you select PolarPattern and Sketch002 and perform Complex Section Cut FreeCAD will crash.
Despite what I wrote in the very first line of this thread ("You can make a stand alone ComplexSection feature, or one based on an existing view."), the current iteration of Complex Section only works with a BaseView. I'll add a check to prevent to prevent the crash.

By the way, using a stage of the body's history (PolarPattern) as an operand to a further operation is bad practice. You should always use the Body itself.

Thanks for the feedback.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Damn, i wish i had time to test this!
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

While testing this amazing adition I discovered a minor issue:
when rotating the view before applying a complex section the section marker lines manifest a problem (see flollowing picture).
screenshot.JPG
screenshot.JPG (72.69 KiB) Viewed 986 times
Thanks again @wandererfan for this breath breaking improvement.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30922 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8ec1279ea8ee32a36fae683b42b5cfc5821734b5
Python 3.8.13, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Installed mods: 
  * 3DfindIT 1.2.0
  * 3DfindIT.backup1663070439.7435825
  * Assembly3 0.11.3
  * BIM 2021.12.0
  * ExtremeProDark 2.3.3
  * FreeCAD_SketchArch
  * Help 1.0.3
  * ProDarkThemePreferencePack 1.0.0
  * Pyramids-and-Polyhedrons
  * ZolkoBase 0.0.1
Attachments
Complex_Sections.FCStd
(29.29 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Dean_1405

Post by Dean_1405 »

@Kunda1
Sorry, i totaly forgot about it. I've edited my previous post.

@wandererfan
Thanks for your reply. I know that example i provided doesn't have much sense, but i was playing with complex section feature in FreeCAD for the first time, and i found this issue :)
It's sometimes better for me to place section view on another side, and its nice when arrows points to the right direction.

I also know that i should always select body when i create drawings. It becomes obvious to me when i see my drawing doesn't update :D

PS:
It seems that we are equaly artistic tallented :D

PS 2:
It is sometimes usefull to have possibility to insert specific feature on the drawing.
Imagine you need to create prototype of 2 plates with equal dimensions, with 2 holes which are qeualy placed, and have the same size, but one plate need to have chamfer, or fillet etc.
With FreeCAD i can easly do it - I create plate with holes and chamfer, and on drawing i create 2 views, one by selecting main Body, and one without chamfer (name it Pocket for example). I can change plate size, or hole placement and it will update on both views.

I didn't figured it out how to do it similary in Solid Edge at work ;/
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

balrobs wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:21 am
Having testers is great! Marks should respect rotation after git commit 4f96b1bf60
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:05 pm Having testers is great!
having coders like you is even greater! :D