Complex Sections

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Complex Sections

Post by wandererfan »

FBXL5 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:26 pm Trying to turn the section views shows that the hatching has a different spin centre. This was the case for complex sections as well, as long as I was able to test them before the file started crashing
I merged two fixes for rotation this morning:
git commit eb407feb60 [TD]fix rotation of complex section
git commit 5cedb9ea4e [TD]fix rotation of cut face hatch
Attachments
Blatt_SimpleRotations.png
Blatt_SimpleRotations.png (41.25 KiB) Viewed 946 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

FBXL5 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:26 pm The complex and the simple sections have in common that their x axis is always horizontal and not parallel to the section line as one would expect it. (only A-A is according to standards now)
<snip>
At least the section views are correct according to the section lines and arrow directions, they only need to be automatically turned to the expected angle some how.
I think I can automatically rotate the section views to match the section line. It might be hard to avoid being 180* out of phase sometimes, but we could add a "reverse" parameter to handle that.

Somebody is sure to want manual control of rotation, so my thinking is that if the Rotation property is 0*, we do an automatic rotation to match the section line, but if the Rotation property is non-zero, we use the Rotation value. Does that seem sensible?

A big thank you for testing and providing great test data.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

aapo wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:10 am EDIT: Curiously, sometimes it crashes, and sometimes it produces exactly the aligned or offset section I wanted.
I haven't been able to make this one crash yet (good news / bad news). Any more guesses on how to reproduce it?

At one point I could make crashes by changing the direction really fast, but I haven't seen that lately.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:28 pm Somebody is sure to want manual control of rotation, so my thinking is that if the Rotation property is 0*, we do an automatic rotation to match the section line, but if the Rotation property is non-zero, we use the Rotation value. Does that seem sensible?
It does.
Usually you tilt your head parallel to the section line and follow the direction of the section arrows to find the Section view matching with your tilted head.
If drawing space doesn't allow to place the section view as described it may be turned grid-parallel. This should be standard for aligned sections as well to avoid the decision which arrow should be the leading one to determine the direction.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:14 pm My version (Version: 0.21.30899 +1 (Git)) has those two fixes and does not crash when opening "TechDrawTest-1.FCStd".
No crash with Version: 0.21.30922 (weekly build), too.

Rotation including hatching works like expected now. I'm looking forward to auto rotation. ;)

But Aligned produces empty section views now. :(
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

FBXL5 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:58 pm But Aligned produces empty section views now. :(
Using Version: 0.21.30960 +1 (Git) I get a good result looking up. Other SectionNormal directions have alignment issues, but no blank views
Attachments
BlattMWE.png
BlattMWE.png (42.28 KiB) Viewed 816 times
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:39 pm Using Version: 0.21.30960 +1 (Git) I get a good result looking up. Other SectionNormal directions have alignment issues, but no blank views
So I will wait for the next weekly build and check again.

BTW where can I find the option to flip the arrows? I don't think I would use it, but I'd like to know, in case someone asks. 8-)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

FBXL5 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:48 pm BTW where can I find the option to flip the arrows? I don't think I would use it, but I'd like to know, in case someone asks. 8-)
Preference > Annotation > Section line standard. ANSI is arrowheads at the section line and ISO is arrowheads away from the section line.
rock.vice

Post by rock.vice »

[/quote]
Preference > Annotation > Section line standard. ANSI is arrowheads at the section line and ISO is arrowheads away from the section line.
[/quote]

I am pretty sure it should be the opposite (ISO -> arrows pointing to the section plane / ANSI -> pointing away from the section plane)

For reference (image at page 14):
https://s3vi.ndc.nasa.gov/ssri-kb/stati ... Basics.pdf
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

rock.vice wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:41 pm I am pretty sure it should be the opposite (ISO -> arrows pointing to the section plane / ANSI -> pointing away from the section plane)
Doh! :oops: You're quite right. At least the program gets it right.
Attachments
ISOSectionLine.png
ISOSectionLine.png (31.44 KiB) Viewed 684 times
ANSISectionLine.png
ANSISectionLine.png (34.53 KiB) Viewed 684 times