Complex Sections

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Complex Sections

Post by wandererfan »

domad wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:38 pm With version: 0.21.31109 I was finally able ...
Revision 31110 fixes the silly business of needing debug turned on to use Aligned. :(
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

just translate Crowdin, and I have few questions/remarks I put on line but one I'd like to enlight here:
on the GUI, we read BaseView (not translatable), is it equivalent to Base View (translatable)?

for Projection strategy, one option is NoParallel, why not Not Parallel? when I have translate, I was wondering the meaning.

for the two little round arrows, instead of Advance... why not Turn...?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

david69 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 pm on the GUI, we read BaseView (not translatable), is it equivalent to Base View (translatable)?
meme chose. BaseView is the property name.
david69 wrote: for Projection strategy, one option is NoParallel, why not Not Parallel? when I have translate, I was wondering the meaning.
NoParallel => No profile segments which are Parallel to the view direction should be used in generating the view. NotParallel doesn't work in english.
david69 wrote: for the two little round arrows, instead of Advance... why not Turn...?
Advance in the sense of an incremental increase. "Turn the view direction clockwise" sounds odd to my ear, but conveys the same sense, I guess.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

aapo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:00 pm So, if one rotates a View e.g. 13 degrees, a general use hatching is still supposed to be at the original 45 degree angle in respect to the Page edges, am I correct?
Yes, you are.

In Assemblies with several sections you want to recognise which part belongs to a specific cut area and so each part has its own hatch pattern which differ at least in orientation and line spacing. If you turn the pattern with the view it would become harder to find the areas belonging to the same part in different section views. That's why orienting the pattern with the view should at least be avoided if not forbidden.
aapo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:00 pm Is it a general convention for aligned sections, that the hatchings are supposed to have an offset change at the section seams? If it is a common way to do it, it'd be a quite nice way to highlight the uncontinuity in the section cut direction.
I don't know if this is a general convention, but I would expect to have offset changes at the section seams. And I would tend to draw a thin seam line, as well (but that is rather a gut feeling than based on experience)
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Greetings to the Community!
The three images show the differences between the three options available in the "Complex Section" function:
- Aligned Section;
- Offset section;
- NoParallel section; (I think it would be more appropriate to define it as "Diverted/Concurrent Section").
(ISO 128-50):
The diagonal pattern must have an angle of 45°, in the event that due to the particular geometry of the shape it is not possible to respect this angle, as an exception, angles between 30° - 60° are allowed.
The sectioning plane changes (change of cutting direction) are highlighted by a thin mixed line and by the offset of the pattern lines.
Attachments
aligned_section_option.png
aligned_section_option.png (37.86 KiB) Viewed 920 times
offset_section_option.png
offset_section_option.png (35.17 KiB) Viewed 920 times
noparallel_section_option.png
noparallel_section_option.png (35.71 KiB) Viewed 920 times
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

wandererfan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:08 am meme chose. BaseView is the property name.
thank you for your feedback. I've changed the translations, same for the rest.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

aapo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:00 pm So, if one rotates a View e.g. 13 degrees, a general use hatching is still supposed to be at the original 45 degree angle in respect to the Page edges, am I correct?
Is this not how it works now? The hatch lines in the rotated view line up with the lines in the unrotated view here (ie they retain their orientation relative to the page):
RotatedHatchLines.png
RotatedHatchLines.png (25.59 KiB) Viewed 849 times

I think what I'm hearing is that the hatch pattern should retain its orientation relative to the View when the View is rotated(apologies for the rotten hatch pattern):
HatchRotatedWithView.png
HatchRotatedWithView.png (32.69 KiB) Viewed 849 times
rock.vice

Post by rock.vice »

UNI ISO 128-50 is stating:
"Hatching shall be done with the narrow continuous lines of type 01.1.5 specified in ISO 128-24:1999 and at a convenient angle (preferably 45°) to the principal outlines or lines of symmetry of cuts or sections"

This means that if you are rotating the view you are also rotating the principal outlines or lines of symmetry and so you need to rotate with the same angle the hatching.

Since Techdraw is a general purpose tool for 2D drawing I suggest to expose the rotation angle of the hatching in the properties so the user can adjust it to any possible direction (LibreCAD is also applying hatching in this way)
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Greetings to the Community!
... this is the clarification
Attachments
ISO_128-50.png
ISO_128-50.png (329.76 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Hatch_section_rotated.png
Hatch_section_rotated.png (74.16 KiB) Viewed 827 times
rock.vice

Post by rock.vice »

Thank you for the additional clarification.
But... what happens when you have to apply hatching to a partial section in an isometric view?
I think that a fixed value for hatching direction is not always applicable, that's why I would prefer to have an option in the property tab to manually override the angle of the lines.