[ Solved ] TechDraw_ProjectShape: How does this tool work?

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

[ Solved ] TechDraw_ProjectShape: How does this tool work?

Post by Roy_043 »

The TechDraw_ProjectShape tool is not yet documented in the Wiki. I have a hard time understanding it. My first thought was that this tool would provide quick access to certain preferences, but the settings in the dialog are not saved.
Last edited by Roy_043 on Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: TechDraw_ProjectShape: How does this tool work?

Post by wandererfan »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:29 am The TechDraw_ProjectShape tool is not yet documented in the Wiki. I have a hard time understanding it. My first thought was that this tool would provide quick access to certain preferences, but the setting in the dialog are not saved.
TechDraw_ProjectShape is Drawing_ProjectShape with a toolbar entry. It was moved to TD as part of retiring DrawingWB.

I've just copied Drawing_ProjectShape to TechDraw_ProjectShape but the navigation bits don't look right.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Thanks for creating the page. I have added the Docnav. I'll look at the rest of the page later.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I do not understand the "isoparameters" options. They seem to have no effect (tested with a cylinder and a sphere).
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:23 am I do not understand the "isoparameters" options. They seem to have no effect (tested with a cylinder and a sphere).
It is supposed to do something like this:
isoLines.png
isoLines.png (10.55 KiB) Viewed 743 times
but I don't see how it could have ever worked as you need to specify the number of iso lines you want and there is no way to do this in the UI and the code doesn't consider iso lines at all.

I just noticed that View doesn't do iso lines any more. Will have to fix that and I might as well do ProjectShape at the same time.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Thanks for your answer. The command is a bit of an anomaly within the TD workbench as the projection is not created on a Page.

Side note:
The names of the properties are hard to understand (and the 'automatic' spaces added in the Property editor are a bit awkward). "Rg1 Line VCompound" is not exactly self-explanatory.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:00 pm The names of the properties are hard to understand (and the 'automatic' spaces added in the Property editor are a bit awkward). "Rg1 Line VCompound" is not exactly self-explanatory.
Those are the names that OCC gives to the groups of edges - https://dev.opencascade.org/doc/refman ... shape.html - but I agree that they don't convey much to anybody that isn't knee deep in OCC. The names in the Hlr Parameter section of TD View properties are a little better. I can change the ProjectShape names to match the TD names when I'm making the iso lines work.

I'm not sure why this tool was in DrawingWB instead of, say, PartWB.