Bug 4687 Extension Line Direction in Iso Views - Help Please

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Bug 4687 Extension Line Direction in Iso Views - Help Please

Post by wandererfan »

aapo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:03 pm I presume that the length information itself works like before, i.e. the user is supposed to link 3D-edges in the 3D-model to the desired 2D-dimensions/edges in the drawing. If I remember correctly, this works pretty well. Just link a Dimension to 3D geometry, and change the Dimension
"Measure Type" Projected --> True.
I thought about adding the 3D linking functionality to the task dialog, but decided the dialog was already very busy and left well enough alone. Might be something to revisit.
aapo wrote: However, the Dimension linking toolbox has a slight inconvenience in that it only let's the user select the edges from the 3D-view, and not in the 2D-view (i.e. the drawing). The 2D Dimension has to be selected from the list of all existing Dimensions, which is a bit cumbersome. Moreover, by selecting a Dimension in the drawing, and pressing the linking button, the linking dialog doesn't even open, but the program says "There are no 3D Edges or Vertices in your selection" even if the selected 2D Dimension already has already been linked to a 3D edge. My preferred functionality would be to activate the linking toolbox, press a "Select dimension" button, select a Dimension in the 2D drawing, go to the 3D view, press a "Select 3D edge" button, select a 3D edge, and finally press ok/accept for the linking toolbox. Sadly, this is not yet possible.
I haven''t looked at the linking dialog in a long time. I'll add this to the list of things to look into.
aapo

Re: Bug 4687 Extension Line Direction in Iso Views - Help Please

Post by aapo »

wandererfan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:59 pm I thought about adding the 3D linking functionality to the task dialog, but decided the dialog was already very busy and left well enough alone. Might be something to revisit.
I haven''t looked at the linking dialog in a long time. I'll add this to the list of things to look into.
Yes, I agree it should stay in its own dialog. Just mentioned it, because it kind of belongs to the related workflow, and wanted to discuss ideas about that functionality, too. But the isometric view stuff is certainly looking good, thanks! :D