[Feature request] recognize when a rectangle originated from a cut cylinder and add the diameter symbol to the dimension

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ToniTen

[Feature request] recognize when a rectangle originated from a cut cylinder and add the diameter symbol to the dimension

Post by ToniTen »

Currently, when you've got a TechDraw view featuring a circular arc, you can use the "Insert Diameter Dimension" and the "Insert Radius Dimension" functionalities, and TechDraw will automatically add the diameter and radius symbols to the dimensions (⌀ for diameter and R for radius).

However, when you've got a section view, cut cylinders appear as rectangles, composed of straight edges, and the only way to add the diameter/radius symbols is to add them manually (U+2300 for the diameter symbol, for example). You can't use the above commands, because they require circular edges, and the length/vertical/horizontal dimensions won't recognize that it originated from a cylinder or cone, and won't add it for you.

The reason why this is important is for many parts, it is much easier to add all the diameters in the section view, instead of in the full view, because all the lines would cross in the full view, plus you might need a top and bottom view to show all the details.

Here's an example of a partially dimensioned drawing of a real part
Pieza_Freecad_Diametros_automat.pdf
(27.18 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
As you can see, there's a lot of diameters that appear in the section view that would be extremely problematic to add to the other view

My proposal would be to have TechDraw track what geometry created the rectangle, and if it was a circular edge/face and if the section passes through the center of that circular edge/face, and you selected length/horizontal/vertical dimension, have it add the diameter symbol automatically

The main advantages of this would be:
  • Less human error, since the user does not need to manually add the diameter symbol to each of the dimensions that required it (and so can't forget to add it)
  • The user does not need to go find the symbol elsewhere and copy it (either in an actual diameter dimension, or on the OS character map)
  • There's a reduction in the time needed to make the drawing. It's not uncommon that the time needed to properly make a drawing exceeds the time required to model the part in 3D
domad
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] recognize when a rectangle originated from a cut cylinder and add the diameter symbol to the dimen

Post by domad »

ToniTen wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:53 am ....
Hi ToniTen, greetings to the Community!
Have you taken a look at the extensions that will be permanently integrated into TechDraw?
Here a detailed description https://wiki.freecadweb.org/TechDraw_Workbench/en
Waiting for the build to be released you can use the macro "TechDrawTools-multilanguage" here the topic https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=59334 which describes the progressive updates and different animated * .gif show the operation of all tools with practical applications of how to have advantages.
ToniTen

Re: [Feature request] recognize when a rectangle originated from a cut cylinder and add the diameter symbol to the dimen

Post by ToniTen »

domad wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:47 pm
ToniTen wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:53 am ....
Hi ToniTen, greetings to the Community!
Have you taken a look at the extensions that will be permanently integrated into TechDraw?
Here a detailed description https://wiki.freecadweb.org/TechDraw_Workbench/en
Waiting for the build to be released you can use the macro "TechDrawTools-multilanguage" here the topic https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=59334 which describes the progressive updates and different animated * .gif show the operation of all tools with practical applications of how to have advantages.
I already use TechDrawTools, and in the latest dev version, they are already integrated. However, the issue I mention persists, in that in the section view, TD does not know that what looks like a rectangle is actually the section of a cylinder, and so you need to add the diameter sign manually. I see that there's a button for that now, but I am asking for TD to detect that you're adding dimensions to a cylindrical face and add the ⌀ sign automatically.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

ToniTen wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:52 pm ...
I already use TechDrawTools, and in the latest dev version, they are already integrated. However, the issue I mention persists, in that in the section view, TD does not know that what looks like a rectangle is actually the section of a cylinder, and so you need to add the diameter sign manually. I see that there's a button for that now, but I am asking for TD to detect that you're adding dimensions to a cylindrical face and add the ⌀ sign automatically.
Yes (!), +1 ;)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

ToniTen wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:53 am My proposal would be to have TechDraw track what geometry created the rectangle, and if it was a circular edge/face and if the section passes through the center of that circular edge/face, and you selected length/horizontal/vertical dimension, have it add the diameter symbol automatically
Seems like a worthy feature, unfortunately, TD has no idea about the original geometry. I can't see any way for TD to determine that this projected edge is really a diameter and that projected edge is not.