[Feature request]: insert model items

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

[Feature request]: insert model items

Post by Piero69 »

wandererfan, i re-place here my message prevoius in open discussion, because people says you have it in to-do

A great missing function in freecad (to link stronger a model with its drawing and speed up the work) is the ability to insert automatically the model items (dimensions and annotation from sketches and features) into a drawing.

With that function you don’t have to create them manually in drawing and redone actions already done (dimensions already exist). With a click on this function dimensions of model are inserted in the most appropriate view (generally where the sketch is located). you don't waste time anymore to re-dimesions a drawing because the model has already all if well designed.

Parameters and relations of a model are retained in its drawing, so it reflects the design intent of the model. Changes in a model or in a drawing are reflected in their related documents, so making changes is easier and drawings are more accurate.

This is the standard way to act for a 3D parametric cad, the main ones (Solidworks, Catia, Creo, Nx, Solidedge) work so, i think also freecad should take this step enhancing its level.

examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAPbdKI4VtQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7cSkw2khhU
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: [Feature request]: insert model items

Post by wandererfan »

Piero69 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:44 am wandererfan, i re-place here my message prevoius in open discussion, because people says you have it in to-do
issue #4181 covers a lot of this, for sketches anyway.

You can make your own ticket in Mantis, or add to 4181.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

+1 this is very much needed... Especially because currently the drawing (already manually added dimensions) is almost completely destroyed if changes are made to the part of origin. If the dimensions from a sketch are used/overlayed all should stay fine.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Just to inform you: This post is almost two years old; and wandererfan is no longer active in the development of TechDraw.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

chrisb wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:53 pm Just to inform you: This post is almost two years old; and wandererfan is no longer active in the development of TechDraw.
Thanks chrisb. I know about Wanderfan. The intention was to bring this old 'discussion' and topic back to live maybe there are others also interested and can help.