Sketches should use old behavior while generating projection

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ceremcem

Sketches should use old behavior while generating projection

Post by ceremcem »

Moved from https://github.com/WandererFan/FreeCAD- ... /issues/65

Supposedly introduced with FreeCAD/FreeCAD@aa8feb7, TechDraw generates 3D projection of a sketch by using current camera angle but we can't select a face of a sketch since it has no face.

Proposal (refactored)

Please provide an option to use the old behavior.

Rationale

When a sketch is generated with SheetMetal's unfold tool, it's wide open for human errors if the camera is not exactly in "top" view.
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Sketches should use old behavior while generating projection

Post by wandererfan »

ceremcem wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:19 pm Moved from https://github.com/WandererFan/FreeCAD- ... /issues/65

Supposedly introduced with FreeCAD/FreeCAD@aa8feb7, TechDraw generates 3D projection of a sketch by using current camera angle but we can't select a face of a sketch since it has no face.

Proposal (refactored)

Please provide an option to use the old behavior.

Rationale

When a sketch is generated with SheetMetal's unfold tool, it's wide open for human errors if the camera is not exactly in "top" view.
If a face is selected, the projection direction is normal to the face. If no face is selected, the projection mimics the 3D camera angle.
If you select a cardinal direction for the 3D camera before requesting the creation of the TD View, you should get what you want.

Feel free to add a Feature Request to allow manual entry of the main("Front") direction for a ProjectionGroup.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:57 pm If a face is selected, the projection direction is normal to the face. If no face is selected, the projection mimics the 3D camera angle.
If you select a cardinal direction for the 3D camera before requesting the creation of the TD View, you should get what you want.

Feel free to add a Feature Request to allow manual entry of the main("Front") direction for a ProjectionGroup.
Since the issue wasn't in the bug tracker I added it as a feature request. It's issue #0003646.

In summary, it's about adding a manual way to set the main direction of the projection, without selecting a solid object's face, and without changing the 3D camera view.
Attachments
FreeCad_TechDraw_ProjectionGroup_front.png
FreeCad_TechDraw_ProjectionGroup_front.png (67.04 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

vocx wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:12 pm In summary, it's about adding a manual way to set the main direction of the projection, without selecting a solid object's face, and without changing the 3D camera view.
Just for completeness, the old behaviour was to always create the View from a default direction ((0,-1,0) I think). Then the user had to change the direction of the primary View using the dialog.

So I don't think the desired behaviour is actually the "old behaviour".
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:53 pm
vocx wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:12 pm In summary, it's about adding a manual way to set the main direction of the projection, without selecting a solid object's face, and without changing the 3D camera view.
Just for completeness, the old behaviour was to always create the View from a default direction ((0,-1,0) I think). Then the user had to change the direction of the primary View using the dialog.

So I don't think the desired behaviour is actually the "old behaviour".
I think you are right. The desired behavior is about manual control of the projection, but obviously it has to start from a default direction if no face is selected.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

In my use case, a specific projection is rarely needed. So we might update this proposal like so:

1. Old behavior applies (use "selected face" or [0, 1, 0])
2. There may be a button for "Use current camera angle"