Sketcher: Edit ctrls & solver messages rework.

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Sketcher: Edit ctrls & solver messages rework.

Post by paddle »

Proposal :
- remove all the settings from the tasks view. They clutter and honestly I never used any of them ever. They should be in the settings only.
- Add a direct shortcut to sketcher settings so that settings are easily accessible without going to the menu.
- Optional: make the solver message (under constrained: 4DoFs) a widget that would go in toolbar.
- I'm not sure what the Update buttons does exactly. Is it refreshing the sketch by re-running the solver? In which case it could be a small 'refresh' button in the solver message toolbar widget
preference widget rework.png
preference widget rework.png (136.71 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Sketcher: Edit ctrls & solver messages rework.

Post by openBrain »

I don't like this at all.
There are workflow where you need to switch often this settings and so access it in a simple way.
My opinion is that it shall stay on the Task panel.
However, it may be possible to better group/organize things.

One thing you're probably not aware of is that the 'Edit controls' UI is also used in the preferences, which is very practical from coding point of view. ;)
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

openBrain wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:38 am There are workflow where you need to switch often this settings and so access it in a simple way.
For which of these settings do you see a workflow using them very often?
I don't see many workflow toggling "auto constaints" very often. Neither "avoid redundant auto constraints". Neither "Auto update". Maybe show grid. But even that I don't see someone activating/deactivating all day long.

I know edit controls are in preferences already. And I think it's where they should be.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I like the idea of saving vertical space, because it can open the possibility to see the solver message and constraints and elements list also on small screens. I would do some things differently / additionally.
paddle wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:15 am - Optional: make the solver message (under constrained: 4DoFs) a widget that would go in toolbar.
- The Solver message is most essential in Sketcher, I would like to see it permanently independent of scrolling. In the toolbar it may need an extra line, which would completely defeat the purpose of saving space.

- I seldom use the settings, it would be ok for me to have them in the preferences. BUT: if they are changed in the preferences, they will affect future sketches too. Currently they change only the behaviour for the current sketch.
I would actually like to see this changed. For me, showing the grid, removing redundants, etc. are not at all properties of sketches, but they are only editing aids, and I don't need to have them sketcher specific at all. Even worse: if I have my personal preferences - e.g. using auto constraints and not using remove redundants - and I edit a sketch from someone using different editing aids, then this may not be realized immediately.

- If the "Edit controls" are kept, then "Auto remove redundants" and "Auto update" should be moved to the "Edit controls", which is what they are.
- I'm not sure what the Update buttons does exactly.
It recomputes the model using the current state of the sketch. There are very few occasions when I use it, but then it is very handy.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:30 pm - The Solver message is most essential in Sketcher, I would like to see it permanently independent of scrolling. In the toolbar it may need an extra line, which would completely defeat the purpose of saving space.
As it stands you are right. This would make sens if we can auto-collapse the task view.
I think the best UI is the one shown in RT branch : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPoFrgk8S2U

In short:
- The object tree is on the left with clear background
- the task view is collapsed on the right and shows only when needed.
In which case the solver message would be hidden most of the time. So in that case a widget in the toolbar would make sens.
chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:30 pm - I seldom use the settings, it would be ok for me to have them in the preferences. BUT: if they are changed in the preferences, they will affect future sketches too. Currently they change only the behaviour for the current sketch.
I would actually like to see this changed. For me, showing the grid, removing redundants, etc. are not at all properties of sketches, but they are only editing aids, and I don't need to have them sketcher specific at all. Even worse: if I have my personal preferences - e.g. using auto constraints and not using remove redundants - and I edit a sketch from someone using different editing aids, then this may not be realized immediately.

- If the "Edit controls" are kept, then "Auto remove redundants" and "Auto update" should be moved to the "Edit controls", which is what they are.
What about this :
1 - Move "Auto remove redundants" and "Auto update" to 'Edit Controls'
2 - Put "Edit controls" as optional (as "Advanced solver" is currently) and put it out by default. So if some workflow really need quick access to them, they can still enable them.
3 - Delete the category 'Solver message' and instead just put the solver widget directly in taskview.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I reposted in Open discussion with a cleaner picture and new plan. Please see : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 23#p629923
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

I agree also with openBrain and chrisb. Reworking is good and needed to save space, but most features you want to move, are very needed. Just asking, why do you make more then one threads out of it, one is more then enough, it is hard to follow.

Greetings
user1234
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I opened a new topic because the proposition of this topic is not optimal as I offered to straight out delete the edit widget which seems unaceptable for certain workflow (though we still don't know which). And the picture is poor. So I wanted to start a fresh conversation based on a better proposal.