Add cancel button in the Transform task UI

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rahmanshaber

Add cancel button in the Transform task UI

Post by rahmanshaber »

Sometime we just move a part to compare with another, but to go back to previous position we need to click OK and then undo the changes.
But if the part is filled with details then it takes time to undo the changes. So with a "Cancel" button this can be prevented.

Current UI
bbbb.jpg
bbbb.jpg (22.87 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
Requested UI
aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg (28.23 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Add cancel button in the Transform task UI

Post by Roy_043 »

FYI: You can press Undo while the task panel is open.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I think cancel would be essentially the same as an undo so I doubt it'll bring any speed up, I do agree it's a friendlier interface though
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:20 am I think cancel would be essentially the same as an undo so I doubt it'll bring any speed up,
No it's not the same: Take a Part union of two objects and transform one of the objects inside without making it visible. You see nothing until you confirm the transform. This means that the recompute, which can take much time on big models, is not performed while Transform is open.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

If you press Escape you leave the transform task without a recompute.

But. Even though this is a great feature I think it's not the expected behaviour. I expect Escape to behave like the Cancel button described in OP. I also expect Return key to finish the transform task but it doesn't. The possibility to leave the transform task without a recompute could maybe happen when pressing shift+return instead of escape
Also it would be nice if Undo reverted all transforms that was done in a transforming session in one single undo step if you undo after the task panel is closed.
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

I am not so sure about the compute, but if you move the part in 6 step than you have to press ctrl+z 6 times to go to previous position.

With the cancel button that will be reduced and the UI consistency will also be maintained.

If whhat @Jolbas said is true, then we need that cancel button to get a recognizable and easy UX. others are just a hacky way to accomplish what we wanted.
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Anyone interested in tackling this ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs