Combine buttons in Sketch task's UI to reduce the UI width

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rahmanshaber

Combine buttons in Sketch task's UI to reduce the UI width

Post by rahmanshaber »

All the tool's UI task fits in a small width except the Sketch tasks UI.
We can combine these 2 buttons as one and do the task they do in alternative click like "Toggle Visibility" does.
Screenshot 2022-09-03 154124.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-03 154124.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Combine buttons in Sketch task's UI to reduce the UI width

Post by chrisb »

rahmanshaber wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:54 pm We can combine these 2 buttons as one and do the task they do in alternative click like "Toggle Visibility" does.
I highly appreciate the approach, this panel should be as narrow as possible.
A simple toggle won't do, because some may already be hidden and some not.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:01 pm A simple toggle won't do, because some may already be hidden and some not.
That's why i said the "Toggle Visibility" function. If there are some hidden and some are showing, and you select all and clicked "Toggle Visibility", then they will alternate.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

rahmanshaber wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:33 pm That's why i said the "Toggle Visibility" function. If there are some hidden and some are showing, and you select all and clicked "Toggle Visibility", then they will alternate.
I don't understand. How would that do what the buttons do now?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Just make it a Show/Hide toggle button.

It'll show/hide anything selected, or if nothing selected in the list it'll show/hide all entities in the list, or toggle their status if mixed.
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

Yeah, that sounds good
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

obelisk79 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:33 pm Just make it a Show/Hide toggle button.

It'll show/hide anything selected, or if nothing selected in the list it'll show/hide all entities in the list, or toggle their status if mixed.
I had thought about putting all of the existing buttons in the drop down menu, which contains currently only "Show only filtered constraints" but I like your proposal as well, because it is easy to handle. Would Hide and Show be enough or does it still need a toggle?
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Well, Hide/show doesn't have to be the exact terminology. Perhaps "Toggle Visibility" would be more clear? My thought process, is it's still functionally versatile, and only requires a single button to effectively do the job previously held by two.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't use it often to hide constraints, at least not in my sketches, but if I do so, then I think I am following a common use case:
1) select a set of constraints and hide them; this works well with a toggle on the selction, because everything was visible before
2) work a bit on the sketch; this changes the selection
3) make everything visible again;

With a toggle button only, step 3) requires selecting exactly the previously hidden constraints, because a toggle would hide the previously visible constraints.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

IMO those two buttons ar unnecessary, they act on the whole list and for that we already have the options on the "restrict visibility" menu. The "select multiple" button also is probably better removed and put inside the filter list or something, or changed for some iconography instead of that long string.

I have to add that sketcher is not the only offender in this regard though, the PD hole dialog is excessively wide too.