Combine buttons in Sketch task's UI to reduce the UI width

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rahmanshaber

Re: Combine buttons in Sketch task's UI to reduce the UI width

Post by rahmanshaber »

I don't think list is a good UI, when you scroll to get down and if your mouse pointer on the a drop down menu then it scroll the list instead of the view, Annoying.

Toggle button is the best way. Currently those 1 button shows all the constrains and other hides all. With one button, one click it will show all and another click it will hide all. simple.
Screenshot 2022-09-04 111353.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-04 111353.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Final look will be like this
ee.jpg
ee.jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Also that "restrict visibility" doesn't make sense. clicking that it always marks all of the constrains and shows them even enabling the "Show Only filtered constrains". Basically it makes all constrains visible doesn't matter their state. That "restrict visibility" is unnecessary. if someone thinks does something that important then that drop down menu can be in the settings window, that will make the the width of the "restrict visibility" button's width smaller.
If wee remove that unnecessary "restrict visibility" button then
aa.jpg
aa.jpg (28.84 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Or we can show the list view header and clicking that corner button will do the Toggle Visibility work
tt.jpg
tt.jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:38 am I don't use it often to hide constraints, at least not in my sketches,...
:lol:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

rahmanshaber wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:33 am Or we can show the list view header and clicking that corner button will do the Toggle Visibility work
I like having the checkbox in the header. But it would be rather cumbersome if it should perform a toggle. Other applications use this as well, but selecting it will select all, and deselecting it deselects all. If some are selected, and others are not, then it could be shown in a greyed out state.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:14 am I like having the checkbox in the header. But it would be rather cumbersome if it should perform a toggle. Other applications use this as well, but selecting it will select all, and deselecting it deselects all. If some are selected, and others are not, then it could be shown in a greyed out state.
but in sketcher the checkbox is for visibility, it makes sense that the top checkbox would toggle that. Probably it would be better to replace the checkboxes in the list with an eye icon (common iconography for visibility) but that's a different topic.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Ideal UI for me:
• the "Filter:" label is removed as it's easy to understand what the combobox does
• the filters combobox has checkboxes in the list allowing to select more than one filter from the combobox itself, this eliminates the need for the "select multilple" button *
• a toggle button for the visibility of listed constraints is beside the combobox, using just an eye icon to make it compact **
• the settings buttons just displays a menu with checkbox, this eliminates the need for a dialog window (better UX as it's easier to dismiss), this also eliminates the need for the restrict visibility menu (that only has one item, very bad). ***

* should be doable according to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/842 ... checkboxes but I think the combobox would still close after selecting each filter, making it annoying, so more stuff would be needed to keep it open. Also it would be nice if clicking the checkbox for an item added it to the selected filters but clicking on the label made it the only filter. If the checkboxes in the combobox are too complex to implement another option is to have the "Multiple Filters" as second option after "All" in the combobox and selecting that would bring up the dialog to select them, once again eliminating the need for the dedicated button.
** alternatively the visibility toggle could be a check box at the top of the list as proposed by rahmanshaber. Or no button at all since an apropiate selection fo filters can always achieve whatever you want to do with this function.
*** should be doable according to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/205 ... 84#2054884

@paddle @abdullah @jnxd @openBrain any of you feel like you can (and want to) tackle this?

also here's an old overview by abdullah of this issue: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62942
and I'd like to highlight this proposal to have the filters organized in a tree style: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p537760
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I agree the task panel is too wide. However using "toggle" would be a mistake. It is not always the case that all constaints in a category (including All) are showing at any given time. In that case the "toggle" would be a mess. Namely, it would reverse the (random) visibility, which is almost certainly not what is wanted.

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

That's easy to solve, check the state before applying changes, if not all are visible make them all visible, then if what the user really wanted is to make them all hidden they just need to click again. This is very common behavior, try for example in libreoffice or word to select a text that's partially underlined and partially not and click the underline button, no need for separate buttons for underlined and not underlined. Since users should already be familiar with this kind of behavior it won't be unexpected either.
rahmanshaber

Post by rahmanshaber »

GeneFC wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:58 pm I agree the task panel is too wide. However using "toggle" would be a mistake. It is not always the case that all constaints in a category (including All) are showing at any given time. In that case the "toggle" would be a mess. Namely, it would reverse the (random) visibility, which is almost certainly not what is wanted.

Gene
@gnen this is the behavior when you select bodies with having different visibility and clicked the "Toggle Visibility" from right clcik menu it hides the visible ones and will show the hidden ones.
Why this UX in acceptable in that view and not in the task view?

Either go with the @adrianinsaval solution or the mine shown in the 2nd & 3rd picture.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

A toggle button doesn't have to mean alternate the state for each item on the list. Simple "if -> then" logic can be applied to this button.

-If no items selected, toggle alternates the view status of each item displayed in the list.
-Else if individual items are selected then alternate the view status of those specific items.

This would still cover all existing use-cases and as far as I can tell, increase flexibility of the function while maintaining specificity based on user preference.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

rahmanshaber wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:41 pm @gnen this is the behavior when you select bodies with having different visibility and clicked the "Toggle Visibility" from right clcik menu it hides the visible ones and will show the hidden ones.
Why this UX in acceptable in that view and not in the task view?
I have never done that type of toggle in the main tree and I cannot see any reason I would want to.

In sketcher I often have some constraints showing and then want to show all. A true "toggle" would be silly in that case.

There are lots of ways to shrink the width without crippling the functionality.

Gene