Turning Zolko's theme in to a Preference Pack

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
user1234
Veteran

Re: Turning Zolko's theme in to a Preference Pack

Post by user1234 »

wmayer wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:12 am Here is the implementation of the new dock window handling: https://github.com/wwmayer/FreeCAD/tree/dock_windows
Many thanks!

The docking itself works. But some things does not work for me correctly (or was not the intendtion of the branch, i do not know). I can not split the property panel from the model (structure tree) panel. I used a not customized, but not new config. Could it be because of that? When yes, i must clear a little bit more, because since the new XDG config FreeCAD still shares some folder and settings about the widget stuff (even when i delete all configs and start with a custom config specification, FreeCAD still generates some .FreeCAD folders and use them, i do not know why).

Also it would be good, when the properties is an extra panel.

1.png
1.png (146.05 KiB) Viewed 1693 times

Greetings
user1234
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I'd say remove the combo view, it is obsolete with the current way panels dock. it's the same result but with an extra tab bar.
https://i.imgur.com/OBeDKdy.png
You dawg I heared you liked docked panels so I docked some panels in your docked panels.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I can not split the property panel from the model (structure tree) panel.
You must activate the (default) mode Tree View and Property View in the settings.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

wmayer wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:28 pm You must activate the (default) mode Tree View and Property View in the settings.
Thanks, it works!

Please allow me a question, do we need this setting? Because when we have the panels separate and can arrange how we like, then this will be obsolete, since you can arrange it identical.

Greetings
user1234
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Please allow me a question, do we need this setting? Because when we have the panels separate and can arrange how we like, then this will be obsolete, since you can arrange it identical.
No, we need this setting because the way how it's arranged with the combo view it's not possible to do it exactly the same way with three independent panels.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

wmayer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:51 pm No, we need this setting because the way how it's arranged with the combo view it's not possible to do it exactly the same way with three independent panels.

I think we talk at cross-purposes. When you look at the screenshot i provided before, there was some panel entries missing or wrong labeled. Now i tried that branch again to test something and viola, now all panel entries are here.

1.png
1.png (151.28 KiB) Viewed 1559 times

It seems that i had to restart FreeCAD twice. Now everything works as expected.

Greetings
user1234
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

wmayer wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:12 am @Zolko @user1234
Here is the implementation of the new dock window handling: https://github.com/wwmayer/FreeCAD/tree/dock_windows
Zolko wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:06 pm Nice ! It seems to work in a general usage (didn't test it extensively though) and looks good in my setup.
actually, I have an error: when importing a STEP file (I tested with several files, you can use this one here: bearing_20x37x9.stp) :

Code: Select all

18:44:11  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/shiboken2/files.dir/shibokensupport/__feature__.py", line 142, in _import
    return original_import(name, *args, **kwargs)
<class 'ImportError'>: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libTKService.so.7: undefined symbol: _ZN28TCollection_BasicMapIteratorC2ERK20TCollection_BasicMap
It works perfectly with FreeCAD 19 from Debian 11 and FreeCAD 20 from the AppImage. I don't know when it started making this error, whether it is due to this new dock-window feature or already earlier in v0.21. Can anyone reproduce it ?

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30341 (Git)
Build type: Compiled
Branch: master
Hash: 74ffd403643405ffd7e44e26d9b62673ffa7956a
Python 3.9.2, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods: 
  * A2plus 0.4.56a
  * CurvedShapes 1.0.3
  * fcgear 1.0.0
  * sheetmetal 0.2.50
  * TabBar
  * Render 2022.2.0
  * Curves 0.5.1
  * fasteners 0.4.4
  * Assembly4_GitHub 0.12.4
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I don't know when it started making this error, whether it is due to this new dock-window feature or already earlier in v0.21.
No, that's absolutely impossible because the dock window changes only affect libFreeCADGui.so that is part of the core system. Your issue is related to the Import.so extension module that cannot find all the OCC libs it needs. Try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

wmayer wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:38 pm Your issue is related to the Import.so extension module that cannot find all the OCC libs it needs. Try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly.
ah yes, because I use a locally compiled OCC. Fixed, thank-you.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

FWIW. I have been experimenting with the Preference Pack process to see the extent to which it could configure FreeCAD.

This stemmed from this thread.

Custom Preference Packs can be used and tested without official acceptance to the Addon manager. I have thrown together a wiki page that documents how to do that and have made the Zolko pack available. This is a very simple pack, but, I'd like to get it in the wild to see what I've probably missed. The instruction wiki is here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/PrivatePreferencePacks

In other experiments I've have done some pretty radical changes modified toolbars, panel placement, added other addons, default workbench lists, etc. But, this example has none of that.

If this PP is acceptable maybe it can get into the AM. If it needs more tweaks, let me know.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."