Turning Zolko's theme in to a Preference Pack

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Turning Zolko's theme in to a Preference Pack

Post by Kunda1 »

Can we rename the page ?
The original page on PP is aptly named Preference Packs
so...perhaps we should call this one Private Preference Packs or should it just be added as a subsection in Preference Packs ?

Edit: I think it should be merged as a subsection of Preference Packs
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

wmayer wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:12 am Here is the implementation of the new dock window handling: https://github.com/wwmayer/FreeCAD/tree/dock_windows
I had some time to refine this setup, and now, starting from a virgin install (no FreeCAD config file in ~/.config/FreeCAD, but still the FreeCAD Mod directory in ~/.local/share/FreeCAD where the preference packs are saved), applying the #4 version of the pack attached) makes for a largely nice and usable window. It only works with that new dock window handling, and crashes hard with any other version.

zolkopack4.png
zolkopack4.png (146.97 KiB) Viewed 1243 times

Unfortunately, I fail to make it switch to the PartDesign workbench automatically – with Gui.activateWorkbench('PartDesignWorkbench') – because that screws up completely the window and toolbars layout. I tried to put in a sleep() or similar, but no luck. But when switching manually to the Part Design workbench, the user gets a nice and comfy window, which I think would be an improvement over the current empty startup layout.

A also added some nice goodies like VBO and refine=True as defaults

zolkopack4pd.png
zolkopack4pd.png (199.69 KiB) Viewed 1243 times

This could be combined as an option in the start-up wizzard to provide newcommers with a friendlier fresh install (I have no opinion about the default background color).

BUT: for any of this to have a meaning, that alternative dock window handling (which makes the separate tree-view and property view default) needs to be merged. I don't know whether there is a consensus on that.

ALSO: this uses triplus tab toolbar addon, which I think should be merged into FreeCAD core: this allows fast 1-click switching between often used workenches. I didn't have yet time to arrange and remove items from that toolbar

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30341 (Git)
Build type: Compiled
Branch: master
Hash: 74ffd403643405ffd7e44e26d9b62673ffa7956a
Python 3.9.2, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods: 
  * A2plus 0.4.56a
  * CurvedShapes 1.0.3
  * fcgear 1.0.0
  * sheetmetal 0.2.50
  * TabBar
  * Render 2022.2.0
  * Curves 0.5.1
  * fasteners 0.4.4
  * Assembly4_GitHub 0.12.4
  * QuickMeasure 2022.10.28
Attachments
ZozoPack4.zip
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

what's the point of having the selector toolbar and the regular workbench selector? Personally I have long ago ditched the built-in selector in favor of triplus' addon.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:55 pm what's the point of having the selector toolbar and the regular workbench selector ?
in the selector I have *ALL* available workbenches, in the workbench toolbar only those I use *VERY* often : I also use them in text so the tabs are large and clicking them is easy and fast.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Hmm, perhaps we are not using the same addon? selector toolbar addon has a dropdown menu that by default has all WB too (I have manually disabled those I know I'm never going to use). I know triplus had made a similar addon before that was superseded by selector toolbar, maybe you are using that one.
Captura de pantalla 2022-11-10 113706.png
Captura de pantalla 2022-11-10 113706.png (26.22 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I have the same setup @Zolko does -- I believe it's just Triplus's normal toolbar addon, configured via its preferences to only show five of my most-used workbenches, but I have all workbenches showing in the built-in selector.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

chennes wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:35 pm I believe it's just Triplus's normal toolbar addon, configured via its preferences to only show five of my most-used workbenches, but I have all workbenches showing in the built-in selector.
Yes it is. I added the TabbBar section of the user.cfg file to the preference pack, and now it gives the following setup when staring with a virgin FreeCAD (no config directory, but the Mod directory is there with the PreferencePacks):

Virging startup:
fc_std.png
fc_std.png (127.39 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
after applying ZolkoPack5:
fc_zp5.png
fc_zp5.png (139.62 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

I think that the TabBar should be included by default in FreeCAD, it is so much easier to use FreeCAD's workbenches with that. And the workbench concept is central to FreeCAD. Also, I think that the new docking code should be merged, which only proposes the "Combo View" (combined Tree+Property panel with a separate Task panel) and the separate option (Tree, Task and Property panels separated and stackable as the user wishes) which becomes default.

And then something similar as this PreferencePack should be included in the next startup wizzard. Any opinions ? Should I make tickets for these in the GH issues ?
Attachments
ZolkoPack5.zip
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 74 times