[Sketcher] Clearer icons for : Polyline, toggle construction, toggle constraints, toggle active constraints, ext geo

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Re: [Sketcher] Clearer icons for : Polyline, toggle construction, toggle constraints, toggle active constraints, ext geo

Post by paddle »

chrisb wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:50 am
paddle wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:32 am toggle constrain icons.png
I like the idea of reusing one of the dimensional icons and the angle symbol is good. As the most frequently used dimensional constraints are vertical and horizontal distance, I would appreciate it even more, if it was based on the horizontal distance icon.
I tried with distance but it didn't look good. I think with horizontal distance it will look similarly bad.
Maybe distance + horizontal distance together. But I'm not sure if it will look better than with angle.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Sketcher] Clearer icons for : Polyline, toggle construction, toggle constraints, toggle active constraints, ext geo

Post by adrianinsaval »

my take on toggle reference constraints:
Sin título.png
Sin título.png (24.67 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
Sketcher_ToggleConstraint.svg
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
we can play with the separator color, angle of rotation or use the dimension icon as base instead of rotated horz. distance
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

MisterMaker wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:24 am Mine is here I re-used dimension icon.
I'm not sure about the meaning of the "no parking" overlay. And it may be a bit too crowded to work with small size. I would like to see adrianinsaval's icon just turned horizontally :mrgreen: .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

@chrisb It's called a toggle but what you basically do is disable or enable the constrain. And so I added a disable icon on top of it. And yes you also press it to enable it, but there are not enough pixels for both.
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

A couple of tries using the default dimension icons:

Toggle_reference_1_combined.png
Toggle_reference_1_combined.png (22.21 KiB) Viewed 3522 times

Toggle_reference_2_combined.png
Toggle_reference_2_combined.png (21.22 KiB) Viewed 3522 times

Toggle_reference_3_combined.png
Toggle_reference_3_combined.png (21.72 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

MisterMaker wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:02 pm @chrisb It's called a toggle but what you basically do is disable or enable the constrain. And so I added a disable icon on top of it. And yes you also press it to enable it, but there are not enough pixels for both.
Aah, I understand the "disable" now. I could argue now that I didn't understand it immediately, but that's perhaps just me. But independent from that I would prefer less stuff on the icon.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Adrians proposal made horizontal.
Attachments
Sketcher_ToggleConstraintHorizontal.svg
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Sketcher_ToggleConstraintHorizontal48.png
Sketcher_ToggleConstraintHorizontal48.png (1.23 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
Sketcher_ToggleConstraintHorizontal32.png
Sketcher_ToggleConstraintHorizontal32.png (920 Bytes) Viewed 3496 times
Sketcher_ToggleConstraintHorizontal16.png
Sketcher_ToggleConstraintHorizontal16.png (593 Bytes) Viewed 3496 times
Sketcher_ToggleConstraintHorizontal24.png
Sketcher_ToggleConstraintHorizontal24.png (756 Bytes) Viewed 3496 times
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Haavard wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:30 pm A couple of tries using the default dimension icons:

Toggle_reference_3_combined.png
I like the third.
chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:44 pm Aah, I understand the "disable" now. I could argue now that I didn't understand it immediately, but that's perhaps just me. But independent from that I would prefer less stuff on the icon.
Same here I didn't get it directly and think it's too detailed.

So what are we doing now? We have several good options so what now?

What about polyline icon ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

paddle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:09 am So what are we doing now? We have several good options so what now?
Should we make one of these famous polls? (3 participants guaranteed :roll: )
What about polyline icon ?
I dig the archives. There were some proposals showing that Polyline can do more than straight lines.