Ticket #4802 - suggestion, add-on manager: ability to disable/enable add-ons

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
roipoussiere

Ticket #4802 - suggestion, add-on manager: ability to disable/enable add-ons

Post by roipoussiere »

It could be useful to enable or diable addons via the addon-manager, just like Firefox does.

Use cases:
- there is a bug somewhere and the user want to disable some addons to investigate;
- some add-ons are not necessary for the current project, but might be useful in the future in an other project;
- etc.

Mod edit:
issue #4802
Last edited by Kunda1 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket number to thread title
alex_55

Re: suggestion, add-on manager: ability to disable/enable add-ons

Post by alex_55 »

This is actually already possible using 'Tools>Customize' (Located just above the addon manager button)

As you can see from this screenshot, I keep quite a few addons (and even some built in workbenches!) disabled by default.

Others can weigh in on whether there should be a shortcut to easily toggle addons on/off directly from the addon manager...
roipoussiere

Re: Ticket #4802 - suggestion, add-on manager: ability to disable/enable add-ons

Post by roipoussiere »

In your screenshot, you disable workbenches, not add-ons.

As far as I understand an add-on doesn't necessary add a workbench.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4802 - suggestion, add-on manager: ability to disable/enable add-ons

Post by chrisb »

Why would you disable a macro? Don't call it!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

roipoussiere wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:58 pm It could be useful to enable or diable addons via the addon-manager, just like Firefox does.

Mod edit:
issue #4802
So you are flooding the forum with proposals, while apparently not really knowing the application or working through the documentation.
And now you are starting to flood the tracker too, again without following the Bug submission guidelines.

Please stop this immediately!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:19 am Why would you disable a macro? Don't call it!
there are addons (not referring to macros) that don't add workbenches: glass, selector toolbar, pie menu, etc
Also some of his suggestion are good actually and it's stuff that only a newbie would really notice so I think it's good to post them on the forum now, some consensus should be reached before adding to the tracker though.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:32 pm Also some of his suggestion are good actually and it's stuff that only a newbie would really notice so I think it's good to post them on the forum now
I agree, but before asking for new stuff it should be checked if such function already exists (happened in one of the other posts. Everything else is at least impolite ignorance of the developers and waste of time for the helpers.