Suggestion: merge Tools/Customize into Edit/Preferences

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
roipoussiere

Suggestion: merge Tools/Customize into Edit/Preferences

Post by roipoussiere »

As a new user, it took me some time to notice the Tools/Customize window.

I don't really understand why those two windows are separated, since they have globally the same purpose.

I suggest to move the Tools/Customize dialog in a new tab in the Edit/preferences window (or slightly move each Customize section in an existing place in the Preferences window, but it's more tedious) in order to improve user experience.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Suggestion: merge Tools/Customize into Edit/Preferences

Post by Kunda1 »

If you opened a ticket associated with this thread, please mention it in this thread so we can x-post it
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't think this should be moved to Preferences. There are some things in common, but customizing the Path tools is different from customizing FreeCAD. The tools are hardware devices which you use on your machine. So this is rather an abstract model of machine capabilities than being a matter of configuring an application.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:50 am I don't think this should be moved to Preferences. There are some things in common, but customizing the Path tools is different from customizing FreeCAD. The tools are hardware devices which you use on your machine. So this is rather an abstract model of machine capabilities than being a matter of configuring an application.
where was Path mentioned? :? the tools->customize dialog is where you customize workbenches, toolbars, key combinations, etc. all related to using the software, and I agree with OP it's unintuitive to find it under the tools menu (it can be found by right clicking on a toolbar too) you logically go to the preferences page when you want to configure the software.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Sorry, I mixed this up with the Path tools :oops: .

It could indeed well be unified, and the Parameters could be on a dedicated preference page too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.